Assembly - Tool Maker I Sr. SSC
Summary of Position
Lead team to manufacture and build molds and tools per customer supplied prints and data. Must be able to machine details and assemble, detail assemblies from raw material to blueprint requirements. Locate, fit, and assemble manufactured and supplied parts in accordance with customer blueprints and specifications.
- Review blueprints for tool assembly sequence, details and assemblies.
- Full laser tracking abilities.
- Design and build tooling aids
- Fix out of tolerance tools or lead the effort.
- Set-up and run lathes, milling and grinding machines to produce details and assemblies in accordance with blueprint tolerances and specifications.
- Check and inspect all details, assemblies and finished product for conformance to blueprint dimensions.
- Build & Assemble tooling components including drill bars, edge bars, and lifting & clamping details.
- Identify molds and tools per customer blueprint, tool and purchase order requirements using tags, engraving machines, stencils & painting.
- Plumb and vacuum systems. Verify integrity through pressure testing and leak checking.
- Drill clearance holes, Drill & tap holes, locate and drill precision holes.
- Participate and take responsibility for 6S.
- Lead team to perform all Tool making and manufacturing tasks with minimum supervision.
- Communicate with supervisors, program managers and engineers.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Required Skills, Education & Experience
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful job performance will be considered. Typical qualifications would be:
- Must possess Secret Security Clearance and maintain security clearance for the duration of employment.
- 5 years min experience in manufacturing environment preferred.
- Accredited journeyman background preferred but not required.
- Blueprint interpretation including GD&T and some shop math (decimals, basic trig, tolerances).
- Knowledge of the Metric System.
- This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22.C.F.R. § is required
- Knowledge of manufacturing practices including machining, fastening, and metrology.
- Knowledge of material types and material processes.
- Manual machining experience (conventional mills, lathes, surface grinders).
- Laser tracking experience on large parts (ability to align, collect data, best fit, set details, create reports). Problem solving – the individual identifies and reports problems in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal Skills – the individual remains open to ideas and exhibits willingness to try new things.
- Oral communication – the individual speaks clearly.
- Quality Control – the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability – the individual adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability – the individual is consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security – the individual actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly
Ability to use manual inspection equipment and inspection techniques. Ability to use Forklift and crane. Ability to read and interpret blue prints. Ability to work with management team to help drive performance of location. Ability to take direction, learn, and apply knowledge acquired. Shop math fundamentals.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some projects may require more out-of-the-area and overnight travel.
Working conditions described here are representative of those that may be experienced by an employee on a daily basis while performing the functions of this job.
- Will use hands for extended periods while sanding, grinding, drilling.
- Talking, hearing, vision, depth perception, color vision, field of vision.
- Will work in the manufacturing, fabrication and machine shop.
- The employee will occasionally work with caustic chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- May be required to travel to other site locations.
- May be required to work OT up to 12 hours and weekends to meet department and business demands.
- Work with safe manufacturing processes and understands PPE that is required in the manufacturing area
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Must be able to see, talk, hear, touch, feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to frequently walk & stand for short periods of time
- Must be able to lift and move up to 35 pounds, occasionally lift and move objects up to 50lbs.
Employment is contingent upon successfully passing an employee reference check, criminal background check, and drug screening.
This position requires use of information that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder').
Ascent Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of sex, race, religion, age, national origin, height, weight, marital status, familial status, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, and/or other category protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative.
Ascent Aerospace is a world renowned, single-source provider of production and automated assembly systems for the aerospace, defense and space industries. As the largest tooling group, Ascent produces a full suite of both mold and assembly tooling required for the aerospace manufacturing market, including the largest invar molds ever made for aerospace. As an automation provider and production system integrator, Ascent work with customers to develop their project and see it through from process engineering, to build and installation to ensure it is an efficient and cost effective solution.
Ascent Aerospace – Inspiring the next generation of flight!
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Tuesday, February 4, 2020
- Irvine, CA, USA