The local Anchorage based Material Coordinator (MC) position serves as a single point of contact for all material related requirements within their respective operating function customer base. They will perform material planning, procurement and coordination activities inclusive of demand reservation and fulfillment, focused on accuracy and optimization.
The candidate who will be successful in this position will be customer service oriented, work well in a team environment, possess intermediate proficiency using computers, and be willing and able to learn new processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in a safe manner and correct unsafe acts and conditions.
- Perform activities in accordance with departmental operating procedures.
- Excellent communication skills required, both verbal and written.
- Create Purchase Orders to procure material for assigned client base, to include soliciting budgetary quotes and gaining any purchase approvals.
- Log purchase requests received from customer base in Client’s tracking software.
- File and distribute copies of material purchase requests to appropriate clients. Relying mostly on e-mail.
- Work directly with manufactures/suppliers in identifying budgetary pricing and lead times for materials.
- Proactively meet with customers to ensure service levels are meeting their needs / expectation.
- Coordinate and /or complete material shipping and expediting requirements.
- Communicate with assigned clients to ensure materials are available for scheduled work and/or provide notice when delivery of material will not meet schedule requirements.
- Assist with logistical issues to target on time delivery with minimum cost.
- Provide detailed material status reports to customer base as required.
- Maintain a proficient understanding of Client databases and procurement systems.
- Assist with catalog item creation and modifications to existing catalog items, with emphasis on catalog integrity.
- Ability to read and comprehend manufacturer’s parts manuals and P&ID’s.
- Assist in the timely resolution of problems occurring in the procurement process, as identified by OSD&D’s, suppliers or customers.
- Participate in the continuous improvement process, offering suggestions for process improvements and potential cost savings opportunities or efficiency gains for the Client.
- Have a working knowledge of how and where to find client material specifications.
- Understand Client warehousing processes and locations, including special handling and storage requirements for chemicals and oversized items.
- Ability to judge when to purchase from client warehouse stock, or purchase direct to avoid double handling of materials and meet scheduling timelines
- Possess a solid understanding of material specifications and assigned Client documentation requirements.
- Coordinate support activities with the execution contractors as needed.
- Coordinate delivery of materials from staging or warehouse inventory to fabrication contractors.
- Provide detailed reports of excess materials upon job completion to assist in proper disposition of the Client owned materials.
- Support inventory management by providing recommendations and ensuring Client review of opportunities to optimize the customer’s inventory investment.
- Demonstrated product knowledge in one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Fire & Gas, Rotating Equipment.
- Process purchase orders for Repair & Return material related to testing equipment, calibration equipment, overhaul parts, instrumentation and electrical equipment.
Non-Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: These are the minimum qualifications to be considered for this position.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible material coordination and/or buying experience that demonstrate ability to meet core competency requirements. At the discretion of the hiring manager; education may replace some or all of the experience requirement.
- Experience in working with customers or the public.
- Experience working with electronic transactions preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, or Engineering is required.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
An MC I will usually be involved with supporting a small client base, or a larger client base with assistance from an experienced MC II or MC III.
An MC II is involved with a larger client base and/or works more independently with clients than an MC I, often with little or no assistance from an MC III. The MC II is often embedded with a client group and has some discretionary authority. Requires an additional 3 years of experience (for a total of 5 years).
An MC III is able to act independently, often making complex decisions without the need to interact with the client. The MC III has an advanced level of discretionary authority, and is relied upon for high-level guidance and expertise. Requires an additional 2 years of experience (for a total of 7 years).
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described in this job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties and responsibilities of this job.
Work is performed in an office setting with ability to speak and receive phone communications often. Work requires computer usage with strength, dexterity, coordination and visual acuity to use keyboard and video display terminal and other office equipment. Moderate travel may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Frequent sitting for prolonged periods of time, using hands/fingers requiring dexterity and coordination to handle files and single pieces of paper, reaching with hands and arms for items above and below desk level, talking, hearing, and seeing (up close, at a distance, along the periphery, with depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus); walking from place to place within the office with occasional use of stairs and no elevator available; bending, pushing, pulling, and standing for up to 2 hours; occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds such as small office equipment, files, stacks of paper, reference and other materials.
[Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions].
- Pay Type Hourly
- Anchorage, AK, USA