Senior Camp Counselor-JCC
Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper. The Counselor is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills.
Length of Position:
June 22, 2020 - August 14, 2020-approx. hours 8:30-4:30pm
- Attend Camp Orientation
- June 3rd 6-9pm
- June 10-18th times vary
1. Must be 18 years of age or high school graduate.
2. Ability to interact with all age levels.
3. Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Understanding of the development needs of youth.
2. Ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and skill in program areas designated camp program areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Assures campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
2. Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
3. Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by Health Care Manager.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems; discuss with camp health manager and/or camp director when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
4. Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
5. Represent the camp when interacting with parents or community members.
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their campers to have a successful camp experience.
- Follow safety and security protocols when campers are in public while presenting a positive image of the camp.
Other Job Duties:
Provide supervision for campers while campers are transported to and from camp or during scheduled field trips off of camp property.
Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
Identify other tasks or duties that this position may be expected to perform but are not necessarily the primary focus of this position.
The work environment is usually fast paced. Tis job requires high energy and interaction with staff as well as with members, other agency staff, community leaders, and outside partners, vendors, others.
Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its Agencies are equal opportunity employers, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran's status, physical or mental disability that does not prohibit the performance of essential job functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) or any other basis protected by federal, or applicable, state or local law.
- Job Family JCC
- Pay Type Hourly
- 3506 Gwynnbrook Ave, Owings Mills, MD 21117, USA