Packaging Supervisor (DAY & NIGHTS)
JOB TITLE: PACKAGING SUPERVISOR
Direct and supervise all Mailroom activities including inserting and press lines.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Prepare packaging reports for all Mailroom and Dock activities with PLANS software.
2. Schedule workforce and plan equipment requirements for each edition and special section
handled by the Mailroom and Dock.
3. Adequately staff and properly train personnel to perform work. Seek out and develop supervisory personnel and evaluate performance as required. Packaging Manager fully informed on the operations of the Mailroom and Dock. Consult with him on matters pertaining to labor contracts and company policies.
4. Keep informed on new equipment and new processes in Mailroom and Dock operation and
make recommendations for improved efficiency.
5. Work closely with the Mechanical Maintenance Manager in the repair, maintenance and
installation of equipment.
6. Direct preventive maintenance programs for the equipment located in the Mailroom and
Dock in accordance with the Preventive Maintenance and Quality Control Manual.
7. Accurately prepare and promptly submit all required reports, including budget requests.
8. Responsible for controlling post-press waste and shortages.
9. Direct preprint stuffing and topping operation.
10. Develop and maintain system for cost management of materials and manpower.
11. Develop and execute initiatives to train and motivate production workers with the goal of more efficiency, better citizenship, reduced turnover and increased safety awareness.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
1. Diplomatic and resourceful in resolving problems;
Ability to get things done through other people;
2. Positive liaison with customers, staff and other divisions/departments;
3. Good management, organizational, supervisory and employee relations skills;
4. Highly organized and able to set priorities;
5. Strong oral and written communication skills;
6. Not afraid to make decisions or act;
7. Self-starter and safety conscious.
8. Good math comprehension;
9. Ability to work well under pressure;
10. Possess good judgment and common sense;
11. Able to meet deadlines;
12. Ability to manage costs;
13. Normal ability to perceive consequences of actions;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or GED. Some college preferred. 1-2
years of production experience, preferably in a newspaper setting or a combination
of education and experience.
for Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling:
1. Must be able to work long hours when necessary;
2. Must have good vision and normal hearing;
3. Must have good hand-eye coordination;
4. Must be able to lift 25 lbs;
5. Must be able to stand for long periods when necessary;
6. Must be physically fit;
7. Must be able to recognize colors - not be color blind.
- Pay Type Salary
- Omaha World-Herald, 1398 CAPITOL AVE, Omaha, Nebraska, United States of America