Help save lives every day! Bloodworks is hiring for a Staff Nurse at our Central Seattle Facility. In this position, you will perform therapeutic apheresis procedures on patients both in-house and at area hospitals.
Other responsibilities include:
- Perform all therapeutic procedures on the Cobe Spectra and the Spectra Optia including Plasma exchanges, Red Cell Exchanges and Therapeutic Depletions.
- Collect blood components on subjects enrolled in internal and external research studies.
- Organize plan for procedure prior to starting, i.e., coordination with Medical Director, making phone calls to hospitals, etc.
- Measure vital signs and compare them to normal values for heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature and blood pressure. Report variations to physicians.
- Perform venipuncture both for drawing blood samples and performing therapeutic and/or research procedures.
- Draw blood samples for various tests in appropriate tubes, with proper labeling and lab slips. Deliver blood samples to the proper lab for processing.
- Recognize changes in patient’s clinical status and notify patient's physician of adverse events.
- Evaluate patient’s plan of care and tolerance of therapeutic procedures.
- Familiarize self with medical problems of patients to be pheresed and ask ordering physicians if special complications might be anticipated.
- Evaluate the respiratory and cardiovascular status of patients and donors. Notify physician of any complications.
- Explain all aspects of procedures to donors and patients prior to beginning procedures.
- Administer medication when needed orally, subcutaneously and/or intravenously.
- Administer blood components as per MD order.
- Identify transfusion reaction and follow the protocol for a reaction.
- Demonstrate proper administration of oxygen per nasal prongs, mask, and ambu bag.
- Assist physicians and paramedics with emergency procedures.
- Use and properly care for A-V shunts and central venous catheters (i.e., Quinton, Hickman, etc.).
- Utilize equipment manuals to trouble-shoot the department's equipment. When unable to solve problems by self utilizes resources, i.e., company service, company technical assistance, Bloodworks manuals, etc.
- Draw and spin hematocrits using a centrifuge.
- Perform on-call responsibilities on a rotating basis with co-workers.
- Properly screen potential donors for acceptability by checking medical history, medication record, labs etc. Know post-donation problems of returning donors.
- Listen with empathy to patients and family members.
- Must maintain an active Washington State Registered Nurse license.
- Comply with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as written.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing with a current license from the State of Washington as a registered nurse.
- Three years’ experience working in an acute care setting required with previous apheresis, phlebotomy, ICU/CCU or dialysis experience strongly preferred.
- Occasional extensive travel, substantial overtime, on-call status and heavy lifting.
- As this is an essential position with direct responsibility to donors and/or patients, incumbent should be prepared to work extended and/or consecutive shifts and/or possibly at a different location during periods of inclement weather or other emergencies.
- Ability to work scheduled holidays and weekends.
- Seattle, WA, USA