Systems Engineer I
CNA fosters an inclusive culture that values diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Our flexible and engaging work environment encourages iterative and creative collaboration at every stage of the problem solving process. Our employees are committed to helping clients develop effective solutions to better manage their programs through scientific, data-driven approaches.
We are looking for creative and innovative individuals to help carry out our mission.
Assists with systems, data, and operations analysis, requirements and systems development analysis and design. Assists with scientific and technical investigations. Applies formal, established engineering and management principles to specifications and documentation of systems developed.
1. Assists with the definition and development of system requirements and documentation of the requirements in detailed specifications from which programs will be developed and/or procured, and from which hardware will be developed and/or procured.
2. Under direction of project leader, supports formulation and definition of user requirements, system use cases, business process workflows, enterprise architectures, system specifications and system design based on user needs, research, and fact-finding.
3. Assists with technical preparation for stakeholder engagement sessions to elicit user needs, business architectures, processes, and gaps.
4. Applies standard research methodologies to gather, process, and analyze data. Uses relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports.
5. Work somewhat independently on focused well-structured pieces of projects. Work under close supervision on broader</div><div>strands of the project. Begin to understand project budgeting and financial tracking over the project lifecycle.
6. Devises or modifies procedures and specifications to address common functions, computer equipment capacity, or operating time.
7. Assists in designing conceptual and logical data models to be used in systems using UML and entity Relationship diagrams. Assists in developing data dictionaries, schemas, data flows, data migrations, and ontologies.
8. Assists in developing information management strategies aligned with organizational mission needs.
9. Under direction of project manager, supports development of independent validation and verification plans and scenarios,</div><div>following industry standards and system requirements.
10. Develops a basic familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors.
11. Drafts sections of reports, briefings, or other project deliverables. Begin to structure problems of moderate scope, technical assistance or proposal development tasks.
12. Participates in meetings with project team. Support preparation for and contributes to client/sponsor and project team interactions.
13. Develops a sufficient understanding or expertise on specific tasks, issues or data so as to make a positive contribution to project outcomes.
14. Acts as a primary data collector and provide substantive inputs into CNA studies and proposals, including project planning and coordination, preparation of reports, memoranda, quality reviews, etc.
15. Conducts technical assistance activities such as planning and organizing meetings and seminars.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, operations research, or a related engineering field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum of 2 years relevant work experience performing duties similar to those listed above in a Government contract environment or 4 years of generally related experience. Knowledge of U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Fema,and/or Federal grants management preferred.
3. Skills: Ability to construct effective briefings using MS PowerPoint and intermediate skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages. Ability to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in both oral and written communication. Ability to present and summarize data effectively. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Working knowledge of system and software design processes, tools, and techniques. Working knowledge of system development and testing documentation and standards. Working knowledge of data and information management analysis techniques and best practices. Working knowledge of different software development life-cycles, to include waterfall and agile methodologies. Ability to work well with others.
CNA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service and protected veterans, or other non-merit based factors. In addition to federal legal requirements, CNA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. These protections extend to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting and hiring practices, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training and career development programs. For more information about EEO protections, please view the EEO is the law posters below: "EEO is the Law" Poster; "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. The pay transparency policy is available here: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Poster
To be considered for hire, all individuals applying for positions with CNA are subject to a background investigation. For positions requiring access to classified information, U.S. citizenship is required. Individuals will also be subject to an additional government background investigation, and continued employment eligibility is contingent upon the ability to obtain and maintain an active security clearance.
- Job Family Systems/Software Engineering
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America