PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
Under direction of designated venue Sous Chef, the Cook prepares food/menu items for guest consumption utilizing only approved recipes, cooking methods and ingredients as set by Food & Beverage/Culinary Management; maintains all food, equipment and kitchens to set health codes and casino standards; maintains positive, team oriented and accommodating attitude toward guests (internal as well as external), fellow team members and management, at all times.
- Maintains designated workstation ensuring that recipes, flavor profiles, consistency in quality, appearance; ensures production time frames are adhered to for all menu/food items being produced on assigned station; ensures workstations are fully stocked for forecasted business flow and restock before end of shift.
- Possess adequate knowledge of basic food products (meat, poultry, fish, produce, dry goods, etc.) and standard food production equipment; possess adequate knife skills and ability to sufficiently perform all basic cooking method, as well as the ability to multitask within those basic cooking methods to ensure no interruption in servicing of the guests.
- Possesses adequate understanding the food rotation method “FIFO”; directly responsible for labeling and dating all food items on their designated station as well as the kitchen as a whole; ensures all food items are within expiration dates or if not, that they are disposed of and properly logged on waste sheets.
- Possesses the ability to read food order tickets and identify menu items and substitution/special requests in a timely and clear manner as well as communicate those requests clearly to fellow team members.
- Directs Cook Helpers to accomplish kitchen/workstation needs, in a positive supportive and educational/ team-oriented manner; assists with training other team members on workstations.
- Maintains acceptable attendance record and arrives at workstation at scheduled time, in proper uniform and ready to work.
- Reports any injuries, accidents or possible unsafe work environment or health code issues to management immediately upon identification at all times.
- Performs any job responsibilities and or tasks deemed necessary by Culinary Management within the scope of this position and business needs of the department.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS - ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and working environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Primary work environment is in a climate-controlled restaurant environment within a gaming facility. Incumbents may be required to work evening, weekend and holiday shifts.
- Employee may be exposed to highly stressful situations where a great deal of tact and diplomacy is necessary.
- Hearing sufficient to hear conversational levels in person.
- Speech sufficient to make oneself heard and understood in person, in front of groups, in meetings, and over the telephone.
- Visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned, or to make general observations of facilities, guests and employees.
- Strength sufficient to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds below or at waist level and occasionally lift, move or carry objects over 50 pounds below and at waist level.
- Mobility sufficient to safely move in a restaurant and gaming facility; handle or feel objects, tools or controls, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, bend, kneel, crouch or crawl, and reach with hands and arms.
- Endurance sufficient to sit, walk and stand for extended periods, and maintain efficiency throughout the entire work shift and during extended work hours.
- Physical activities that apply to the essential functions of the position are: balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing, repetitive motions.
- The employee will be exposed potential physical hazards (hot ovens/stoves, sharp blades, automated equipment) which require constant attention to environment/surroundings.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee is exposed to fumes or airborne particles including secondhand smoke.
Commerce Casino will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Work Experience Required: Minimum three (3) years’ experience high-volume line cooking or production cooking in a full-service dining establishment or food service establishment.
Education: High School Diploma or GED required; Vocational/Technical/Business certification preferred.
Certificates/Licenses/Registrations: Must obtain and maintain a Food Handler’s or ServSafe Card and negative Tuberculosis (TB) test.
Other Requirements: Maintain clean and proper work attire in accordance with company policy.
- Seeks to increase job knowledge and value to organization.
- Productivity – Ability to manage acceptable workloads, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, and handles/integrates new information and/or procedures well.
- Creates accurate and punctual reports, demonstrates good listening skills. Demonstrates behavior that is welcoming, friendly, open and approachable.
- Flexible, open minded and demonstrates the ability to build rapport and satisfaction by handling all situations effectively as they arise.
- Dependability – Meets commitments, deadlines, and works independently, completes all assignments or job tasks without management follow up, and accepts accountability for results.
- Consistently maintain a pleasant, approachable, professional image.
- Consistently demonstrates collaboration and cooperation skills and openly supports management in accomplishing department and business goals.
- Takes advantage of opportunities to learn new skills. Demonstrates the ability to learn.
- Pay Type Hourly
- 6131 Telegraph Rd, Commerce, CA 90040, USA