Wisconsin Communications Manager
Organization: Community Outreach Group
Title: Wisconsin Communications Manager
Location: Regionally flexible
Community Outreach Group, LLC (COG) is a subsidiary of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund. COG specializes in data-driven digital organizing, relational organizing, door-to-door canvassing programs, signature collection, and public affairs. We help campaigns reach scale while having the quality conversations needed to change people's lives.
- Serve as the point person for all electoral media inquiries, including serving as a spokesperson as needed.
- Manage rapid response in elections and campaigns—oversee the creation of key materials, including opposition and research bullets and talking points, come up with creative plans for bracketing and driving the narrative, take point for response to key news stories.
- Serve as public affairs lead for electoral media, communications, and message strategy and planning.
- Collaborate with PPAWI’s Reproductive Justice consultant to ensure electoral messaging and communications strategies are developed through a race, equity, and inclusion lens.
- Serve as the point person for electoral communications consultants.
- Participate in America Votes and other progressive table work as assigned.
- Collaborate with Manager of Communications, Digital Specialist and Graphic Designer to ensure digital communications strategy reflects the PPAWI brand and electoral communication strategy.
- Pitch stories, create media materials and shape media narrative in support of Planned Parenthood’s political, policy, and electoral goals.
- Ensure that Planned Parenthood is considered a “must-have” source for journalists covering our issues.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and policy spheres.
- Work with the team to build strategies to elevate key staff people’s profiles in influential spaces.
- Ensure that Planned Parenthood, reproductive health, and access to abortion are seen as winning issues in the 2020 election.
- Identify and create tools and training to resource and build skills for PPAWI communications staff.
- Draft various media materials specific to electoral campaign objectives, including press releases, advisories, letters to the editor, and op-eds.
- Ensure messaging and communications strategies are in alignment with organizational branding guidelines and voice.
- Ensure messaging and communications strategies are reflected in communications from the organizing team.
- Work non-standard hours, including evenings and weekends
- 3 years of experience in communications, public affairs, journalism, message development, or developing and executing media strategies, preferably working directly with state media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
- Experience in elections or campaigns required.
- Prior experience with digital media communications and strategy.
- Must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Familiar with building relationships with members of state press and knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast).
- Strong understanding of reproductive health issues and state and local political and governmental processes, including legislative and policy issues.
- Comfortable with technology, and can learn new tools quickly.
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Team leadership experience
- Previous digital ad buying experience
A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications, or another related discipline is highly encouraged for this position.
Please apply on our website at www.knockdoors.org/jobs. We strongly encourage women, people of color, working-class, and LGBTQ people, as well as those with disabilities, to apply.
The Community Outreach Group, LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Community Outreach Group, LLC is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
- Pay Type Salary
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- Wisconsin, USA