EDF Renewables North America, a subsidiary of EDF Renewables, is a leading North American independent power producer boasting over 30 years of experience across a broad spectrum of services. Our mission is to deliver renewable solutions to lead the transition to a sustainable energy future.
The Estimator will be responsible for all aspects of estimating Utility-Scale Solar PV, Battery Storage and Wind EPC projects. With the primary strategic focus to bid and win highly profitable and feasibly constructible projects that have pricing strategies developed to maximize our profits, cash flow and avoid any losses during construction. The estimator also helps assess fair market value of claims and change orders requests form contractors. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the coordination and analysis of bid documents, market data collection and centralization, labor productions, value engineering, subcontractor and vendor pricing, subcontractor and vendor buyouts, owner estimates, subcontractor and vendor requisitions and cost-to-completes.
- 50%: Support the projects construction estimates steps and process:
- Accurately and timely performs takeoffs and calculations and analyzes data (quantities and prices).
- Thoroughly investigates the specifications, scope of work, drawings, other RFP documents and develops a complete understanding of the project construction time, cost, labor and material estimate for Utility Scale EPC projects.
- Coordinates and collects field visits data to gather relevant information on project site conditions, verify production rates and learn new construction techniques. Accordingly adjusts estimates and incorporates this information during the costing process.
- Works closely with the Design and Engineering team to develop and maintain a standard baseline BOM for the BOS, and incorporates value engineering and cost efficiencies initiatives.
- Ensures estimates are completed on time for team review prior to project gates (Pricing, Dossier or FID).
- Provides constructability review during the estimating process. And creates a list of project discrepancies during the estimating review.
- Facilitates effective communication and coordination with all parties throughout the process. Coordinate with Business Development, Engineering and Operations teams to produce the most competitive costs estimates.
- 20%: Contract negotiation and change orders management:
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding of the RFP and contract documents and the potential risks for a project.
- Analyzes and compares bids to internal estimates to make recommendations forward and improve future estimates.
- Makes well-supported recommendations on how to mitigate and price risks.
- Collects market data and solicits subcontractors and vendors as needed. Helps Pre-construction Managers and Project Engineering and Construction Managers (PECM) the best deal for cost, quality, and delivery using estimation tools.
- Interfaces extensively with the PECMs to analyses and negotiate change orders and claims.
- 20%: Tools and processes:
- Develops and maintains a centralized database of market costs and populating / linking these to internal estimation tools.
- Develops and maintains a centralized database of historical projects costs, value engineering, cost efficiencies and lessons learned. And categorizes this database based on the project type, size, technology, and geographical location.
- Develops and maintains a centralized database of scope-of-works, qualifications, and assumptions for the estimates.
- Develops and maintains an accurate EPC pricing matrix for preliminary budget stage.
- Develops and maintains a centralized database of qualified manufactures, suppliers, vendors, contractors, and sub-contractors.
- Attends some monthly meetings for current projects and incorporates lessons learned in future estimates.
- Ensures that the estimating process runs smoothly and efficiently, and client/stakeholder expectations are exceeded throughout the duration of the project(s).
- Develops and continuously improve the Utility Scale EPC estimating processes.
- Prepares cost comparisons/reconcile with previous estimates.
- 10% - Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge of NEC, Renewable construction requirements and other industry standards. NABCEP certification preferred.
- Experience in Microsoft Project, HCSS or similar, Tableau+, Bluebeam or other takeoff software would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of estimating, engineering, cost tracking systems and site surveying.
- Minimum five (5) years of Utility Scale Renewable Energy projects estimates.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Engineering Technology.
- Excellent teamwork, communication and people skills a must.
- Excellent at multitasking. This position requires working on multiple projects at the same time.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills with good time management and the ability to deliver work ahead of schedule.
- Track record of achievement and career progression.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook, Word, etc.),
- Able to read electrical, structural and civil plans and project specifications.
90% of time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of various Microsoft software/programs), phones, and general office equipment. 10% of time is spent outside of the office visiting projects, vendors’ and/or internal customers’ sites in additional to attending various conferences and meetings.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Corporate Office, 15445 Innovation Dr, San Diego, California, United States of America