The Pacific Daily News/guampdn.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to cover the government of Guam.
We are looking for a reporter who will hold public officials accountable and help our audience make informed decisions about their communities - from the spending of tax dollars, to the safety of their neighborhoods.
This job is well suited for a reporter who can think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact on complex issues. We will expect you to break important news and develop stories that engage our audiences on multiple platforms.
You must build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. You should have work samples that demonstrate an aptitude for data-driven stories and familiarity with FOIA requests, and a track record of producing compelling, timely, well-sourced stories.
We expect that you can recognize compelling, socially shareable stories and that you will be quick to jump on them.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor's master’s degree in communications, journalism, business, marketing or related filed preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to five years of reporting experience. Experience with datasets and/or retrieving public records through the FOIA process.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to shoot basic photos and videos in a breaking news situation
- Strong news judgement and ability to multitask
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for all driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to a variety of 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role. These examples should show beat reporting and enterprise on different digital platforms.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience