Breaking News Reporter
Delaware Online/The News Journal is seeking an experienced journalist who thrives in a fast-paced environment to be part of our breaking news team. The job includes covering daily crime, traffic and weather news along with trending stories, and identifying strong follow-ups that enlighten and move readers, hold officials accountable and identify patterns and trends.
You must be a self-paced, seasoned reporter who can develop reliable sources and stay tuned to the pulse of breaking news. This role requires a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
Delaware is a rich breaking news market – it’s on the busy I-95 and Amtrak northeast corridors, bounded by water, home to a major Air Force Base and military mortuary and the site of a major refinery and chemical plants. As part of the USA Today Network, we also cover big breaking stories in and around Philadelphia, Baltimore and New Jersey.
This position requires night and weekend work. If you’re ready to embrace the challenge of juggling news as it develops, writing with flair and connecting with a digital audience, we want to hear from you.
• Develop content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) that engages audiences.
• Respond quickly and accurately to breaking news, with the ability to report and write at the scene.
• Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
• Work with senior editors to evaluate what's working and what's not, and develop ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
• Collaborate with visuals and production team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
• Capture basic photos and video as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and requirements
• Bachelor's degree and 3 or more years writing experience.
• Proven track record of breaking news coverage.
• Strong writing and copyediting skills
• Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
• Deep understanding of and curiosity about engaging and maintaining digital subscribers
• Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
• Self-motivation and self-direction.
• Industry knowledge.
• Effective written and verbal communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
• Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
• Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour news environment.
• Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
• Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
• Database skills
• Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
• Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Content.
• Valid Drivers license and a reliable vehicle.
- Job Family News
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Wilmington, DE, USA