Breaking News Reporter
Breaking News Reporter
The Reno Gazette-Journal/rgj.com part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a breaking news journalist who thrives in a fast-paced, digital newsroom. We need someone who is driven by getting the news, satisfying audience questions in real-time while finding opportunities to take on watchdog and enterprise stories in Reno, Nevada.
Our ideal candidate produces smart, context-filled stories and other multi-media content on tight deadlines while developing high-impact journalism on longer-term schedules. This reporter should be passionate about news — especially criminal justice, public safety and quality of life issues. They should be driven to produce coverage that can help bring positive change to our Northern Nevada community.
This role will fit your style if you’re a resourceful, flexible and creative journalist who understands the urgency of breaking news as well as when to continue pursuing a story and go deeper. Spanish fluency strongly preferred. This role requires a valid driver's license and reliable transportation.
The Reno Gazette Journal is the leading news organization in Northern Nevada, focusing on journalism that changes lives and laws for the better. Reno is no stranger to major breaking news events — and Nevada is a one-of-a-kind state when it comes to stories. We are part of a thriving metropolitan area that includes about 450,000 residents. While it’s known first for its downtown casinos, Reno has emerged as one of the top destinations to live for people love the outdoors thanks to the vicinity of Lake Tahoe, Pyramid Lake and the Sierra Nevada. We’re located about two hours from Sacramento and four hours from the Bay Area.
- Respond to breaking news and report quickly, clearly and accurately — especially from the field.
- Deliver news through stories, video, and social platforms to engage our audience.
- Successfully develop a beat by gaining the trust of sources, obtaining relevant public records and knowing how to push hard to get answers.
- Identify and pursue trend and enterprise stories based on previous reporting and news judgement.
- Collaborate with other reporters and visual journalists.
- Work with editors to use metrics and other audience indicators to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Produce basic photos and video to help readers better understand the story as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-2 years’ journalism/newsroom experience, including internships.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills, including the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize tasks, which can shift throughout the day.
- Has news industry knowledge.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Willingness to take on assignments that frequently require trips out of the office and occasionally around the greater Northern Nevada region.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Reno, NV, USA