The Greenville News/greenvilleonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a digital producer to join a team that manages the websites, social media accounts and other digital platforms for a handful of newspapers in the USA TODAY NETWORK’s Southeast Region. This producer will work out of our newsroom in Greenville South Carolina and manage content for sites in Greenville and Anderson.
Greenville is located midway between Atlanta, Georgia, and Charlotte, North Carolina, and is a short drive to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Atlantic Coast. Greenville is a cosmopolitan city with a metropolitan area population of about 1 million people.
- Help manage content and social media accounts for two digital-first newsrooms in Upstate South Carolina.
- Help newsroom teams identify and engage audiences to maximize engagement on content.
- Augment the daily news report by optimizing stories and identifying opportunities for increased engagement.
- Send breaking news alerts and add hyperlinks, video, photo galleries and additional digital content to stories.
- Attract audiences and encourage readers to interact with social content.
- Produce videos for use in stories and social media.
- Help develop social media and promotions content for reporter-generated stories.
- Edit content for publication-readiness.
- Use metrics to monitor real-time data and adjust content promotion plans accordingly.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience in a newsroom is preferred.
- Experience utilizing social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit to curate and promote news content.
- Strong understanding of audience metrics, SEO and social optimization with the goal of growing audience.
- Know how to edit video for social media distribution and promotion.
- Effective communicator who is able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to use a wide range of online tools, programming and data management to engage readers.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
- Experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing quick write-ups based on trending topics.
- Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
- Job Family Copy, Production & Planning
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Greenville, SC, USA