Enterprise & Watchdog Reporter
Enterprise & Watchdog Reporter
The Des Moines Register/desmoinesregister.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a reporter to produce enterprise and watchdog work focusing on issues and trends affecting the Des Moines metro.
This is a “next generation” city hall beat. The reporter will monitor the workings of city and county government but spend the bulk of his or her time developing impactful enterprise relevant to readers in the Des Moines metro. The reporter will work with other reporters who cover metro suburbs to produce team enterprise and investigations.
This reporter is expected to consistently break exclusive news. He or she will identify, produce and post stories, photos and video quickly and accurately across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
The Des Moines metro reporter will use live chats, social media, video and other tools to replace or supplement traditional story forms. He or she will use metrics to understand what’s resonating with readers and will shape coverage to increase audience. Duties include writing compelling headlines and employing SEO best practices to draw in readers. Database skills are a plus.
Source development is critical to the beat. This reporter will cultivate relationships with city and county officials, business leaders and community stakeholders to break stories. Responsibilities include tracking legislation and public policy that impact local cities and taxpayers. This reporter also handles occasional general assignments and breaking news.
Des Moines is a growing capital city that has become a magnet for young professionals, attracted by an expanding job base and a vibrant cultural and arts scene.
The Des Moines Register is a 17-time Pulitzer Prize winner. We reach readers across the state with our daily Des Moines Register editions, our award-winning DesMoinesRegister.com, mobile and desktop sites and various nondaily publications.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging readers.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Use live video to spotlight breaking news and high-interest events.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues. Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Work with newsroom leaders to shape storytelling to meet audience needs and interests tailored to appropriate platforms.
- Contribute to the community’s greater good through impactful journalism.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ reporting/newsroom experience.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Des Moines, IA, USA