Equity Issues Editor
Equity Issues Editor
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a strategic, innovative coach to lead coverage of local issues through the lenses of equity, accountability and potential solutions.
In this job, you would direct a team of reporters who focus on topics where social disparities come into play, in ways obvious and subtle. The team will include reporters working on a grant-funded effort to cover housing insecurity in Arizona and key topic beats.
- Develop exclusive content that is complete, authoritative, interesting and shareable – and always people-focused.
- Through ongoing coverage, highlight the equity issues and ways a community could address them.
- Report and provide context to breaking news.
- Analyze developments for our audience in Arizona and across the USA TODAY Network.
- Focus our coverage to grow audience among communities that we may not regularly reach.
- You and your team must collaborate with others in our newsroom who may explore investigative, data-driven or storytelling angles on similar topics.
- You must work collaboratively and effectively with visual journalists, digital producers and social planners to maximize the impact of that content.
You would work to get our content to the broadest audience across all platforms, telling stories in text, in video and podcasts, through data-driven efforts or in some combination.
- You would work to get our content to the broadest audience across all platforms, telling stories in text, in video and podcasts, through data-driven efforts or in some combination.
- Strong, sophisticated leadership is a must as you guide journalists by consultation and coaching before, during and after the creation of content.
- You must demonstrate an awareness of and adherence to the highest journalistic ethical standards.
- Lead your team in developing exclusive enterprise and investigations that prompt action and improve community life.
- Coach reporters in sophisticated storytelling techniques for digital platforms and print.
- Use analytics and other tools to shape coverage that continuously grows the digital audience and drives subscriptions.
- Act as a public ambassador through community outreach and connect with readers through social media.
- Recruit and nurture a diverse, skilled staff and elevate their skills through coaching and training.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Journalism management experience.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Sharp news judgment.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of analytics and other tools to measure digital audience reach and impact.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Effective communication skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities.
- Ability to multitask and excel under deadline pressure in a rapidly changing news environment.
- Readiness to apply innovative, creative thinking to support the company’s goals.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Content Strategy & Coaching
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Phoenix, AZ, USA