The Anderson Independent-Mail/independentmail.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking a reporter to cover government and education in the city and county of Anderson.
We want a reporter who will hold public officials accountable, help our audience understand their community and give readers the power to make informed decisions.
We want a reporter who can think critically and creatively and write with clarity and impact on complex issues. Anderson has great stories to tell, and it offers a great opportunity for a reporter to hone their skills. Our newsroom works closely with sister papers in nearby Greenville and Spartanburg, and reporters from each often have opportunities to write stories with regional appeal.
You’ll need to build trust with sources and have an eye for important details buried in local government agendas, budgets and public records. You should have a desire to dig into data and file FOIA requests to get at information that’s not readily available.
This reporter will have to build a beat, and have the news judgment to recognize compelling, socially shareable stories and that you will be quick to jump on them.
Anderson is part of a regional urban area of roughly 1 million people that is 30 minutes away from Greenville, and halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta. We are 45 minutes from the Blue Ridge Mountains and three hours from the Atlantic Coast.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Work with content strategist to evaluate what's working and what's not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Become Anderson’s leading voice on the community.
- Connect with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.)
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promote personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Collaborate with content team across the region to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A year of reporting experience preferred, but we’ll consider a recent graduate with all the right tools.
- Work samples that demonstrate storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Proven experience producing accurate reports under deadline pressure, in a style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- An understanding of digital analytics and metrics and how they impact the ways we tell and write stories.
- Must be able to work occasional night and weekend shifts.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Columnist and Journalist
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Anderson, SC, USA