Vivarium Technician III
Under the general supervision of the Vivarium Supervisor, the Vivarium Technician III is responsible for basic animal husbandry and maintenance of the animal facility in compliance with USDA, NIH, AAALAC and other applicable laws and regulations.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Able to occasionally work a flexible schedule based on workload and deadlines.
- Must be able to work assigned schedule: Monday- Friday
- Must be able to work overtime as needed before or after regular shift, weekends and holidays.
- Animal cage preparation, changing, disposing of soiled bedding and washing cages.
- Provide food, water and enrichment supplies to animals on a scheduled basis.
- Observe animal health status and record abnormal findings on notification forms. Notify Supervisor and Research staff of abnormal findings. Files necessary reports, and follows up on health status and/ or treatments.
- Performs inventory of animals.
- Other duties include proper animal handling and restraint.
- Euthanize animals in accordance with AVMA guidelines and prepare carcasses for disposal.
- Maintain inventory of supplies in animal rooms and the entire facility.
- Sweep, mop and disinfect floors in animal rooms and support areas.
- Facility sanitation responsibilities include disinfecting walls, ceilings and other surfaces on a routine basis.
- Perform all VT-I and VT-II duties in the event of staff shortages at that level.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- AALAS certification at the ALAT level is required
- Prior laboratory animal experience (3- 5 years experience working with laboratory animals)
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
- Ability to exercise diplomacy in interactions with multinational scientific staff
This position requires constant walking, seeing, touching/ feeling, lifting, talking, hearing, reading, writing, communicating, exposure to fumes/ odors/ dust, working in confined areas, potential allergens, and exposure to animals.
- Must be able to work a physically demanding job
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and carry at least 25 lbs.
- Must be able to use a step stool/ ladder to reach objects overhead
- Must have manual dexterity in both hands
- Must be able to bend down and/ or crouch repeatedly throughout the workday
- Must be able to push and pull carts that could potentially weigh 300 lbs.
- Must be able to open doors and pull loaded supply carts through
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to read and understand documents such as safety procedures, standard operating procedures for all cage wash equipment
- Must be able to maintain written records as required by SOP and laws/ regulations
- Must be able to work prolonged periods wearing personal protective equipment such as masks, gloves, lab coat, or scrubs and other apparel as required
- Must be able to stand for prolonged period of times
- Working knowledge to see and identify differences in cage and accessory types
- Must demonstrate the ability to assess the cleanliness of cages and accessories
How to apply: Interested candidates please upload your resume in a single file attachment.
- Job Function RS
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA