Full Time Lead Lifeguard
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director or designated supervisor, and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the YMCA of the Virginia Peninsulas, the Lead Lifeguard is responsible for the supervision of the Lifeguard Staff. The Lead Lifeguard is responsible for the health and safety of program participants
1. Minimum of 18 years of age.
2. Experience in the following preferred: Lifeguard Supervision, Risk Management and safety programming.
3. Strong organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal), and human relation skills.
4. YMCA lifeguard certification.
5. Minimum cumulative 6 months lifeguard experience.
6. Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
7. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
8. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional work environment through character development by modeling the values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Supervise lifeguards during assigned shift and enforce staff policies and procedures.
5. Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model. Completes related reports as required.
6. Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants and other staff.
7. Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area. Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state Health Department code.
8. Maintain vigilance without lapses in concentration.
9. Assist with training new staff.
10. Wear proper attire:
1. Bathing suit (must be one piece)
2. Guard shirt
4. Rescue tube and CPR mask
5. Water shoes, sandals or flip flops (no street shoes)
6. No pants
11. Lead Lifeguard should be visible on the pool deck at all times ensuring that all lifeguards are rescue ready and maintain their 180 degree scan of pool/zone at all times.
12. Be familiar with the entire aquatic environment and on each shift make sure all emergency equipment is available and ready for use. Ensure that aquatic environment is free of obstructions and safe for participant use.
13. Maintain appropriate lifeguard to swimmer ratio.
14. Perform chemical checks when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
15. Staff must be at least 18 years of age to enter the pump room, and must be adequately trained to perform chemical related duties and pump room maintenance.
16. Enforce all pool rules with all patrons in a fair, polite, and consistent manner.
17. Responsible for maintaining all relative certifications.
18. Promote and participate in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support and United Way Campaigns.
19. Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
20. Act as a leader in emergency situations. Report any accidents or incidents according to Emergency Communication Action Plan.
21. Ensure all members, guests, and program participants are in a safe environment and actively follow branch Emergency Operations Plan (EOP).
22. Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
23. Follow department Platinum standards.
24. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Aquatics Department and branch operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
• Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
• Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
• Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
• Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
2. Ability to pass lifeguard water test and meet requirements of ongoing drills.
3. Must be able to remain alert.
4. Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
5. Ability to recognize visual and verbal distress signs/actions from potential drowning victim within 10 seconds.
6. Ability to respond to victim in water within 10 seconds.
7. Ability to respond to an emergency situation including but not limited to: water emergency, respiratory or cardiac emergency, minor/major first aid and Code Adam/missing person.
8. Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
9. Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
10. Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
11. Ability to supervise staff.
Effect on End Results:
1. The membership growth and retention plan for the branch is achieved.
2. A high degree of member satisfaction is achieved as measured by Net Promoters.
3. A positive image of the YMCA is portrayed to members, staff, volunteers and the community.
4. A pleasant and comfortable working environment is maintained for all staff.
5. Relationships are strengthened through intentional interactions.
6. The facility will be safe, clean and an enjoyable place as measured by Q Checks and Risk Management Audits.
7. Superior quality standards are met as evidenced by department Platinum Score Results.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. It is understood that the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties if requested by the supervisor. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically and may be revised if deemed necessary. This job description is not a written or implied contract.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $11.50
- Max Hiring Rate $13.00
- R.F. Wilkinson Family YMCA, 301 Sentara Circle , Williamsburg, Virginia, United States of America