Mental Health Specialist II (OPT)
Named one of the best places to work in California!
We are committed to providing a career-enhancing environment for dedicated professionals desiring to make a difference in the lives of young people and their families. Stars Behavioral Health Group (SBHG) currently employs approximately 1,500 people at 37 different sites throughout California in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Fresno, Central Valley, Stanislaus, Santa Clara, Alameda, and Sacramento counties. We serve more than 25,000 children, youth and families annually throughout the state.
Our experienced staff of Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Mental Health Specialists, Parent Partners and other therapists/counselors provide case management, mental health care and a range of support services in schools, homes or other community settings. Our dedicated teams work collaboratively and in partnership with family members, school administrators and faculty, county social workers, case managers, probation officers and other agencies.
JOB SUMMARY: This position has primary responsibility for providing mental health services and case management services to children or adolescents and their families referred to Community Services. Services may include engagement, assessment, evaluation, individual/family/group therapy, and case management. The position acts as liaison with external agencies and functions on teams with other clinical and support staff. In addition, the position documents and bills for mental health and case management services, and completes outcomes information.
Grade 41: (MHS II) Enrolled in a practicum course at an accredited MA, MS, MSW program or awaiting BBS registration number (time limited)
Grade 42: MHS II- Master's degree in a mental health field with BBS Registered intern number or
MHSIII - Master’s Degree in mental health field with BBS License
Two (2) years of experience in a mental health field; experience should be with children or adolescents in residential or outpatient settings.
License or Certification
MHSII - BBS AMFT registration, BBS APCC registration, or BBS ASW associate registration (May be enrolled in a practicum course at accredited MA, MS, or MSW program or awaiting BBS registration number).
MHSIII - LMFT, LPCC, or LCSW license in California
Valid California Driver's License.
1. Interviews referred children/adolescents and significant others to assess and evaluate their appropriateness and need for services.
2. Works with referred children/adolescents, their families, representatives of
referring agencies, and other relevant parties (in-house and external) to
promote rehabilitation and amelioration of problems which interfere with
productive social and emotional daily living. Services provided may
include engagement, assessment, evaluation, individual/family/group therapy,
crisis and case management.
3. Acts as liaison with various external agencies (such as Department of Children and Family Services, Department of Mental Health, Probation Department, Dependency Court, and police) to facilitate youngsters’ adjustment in daily living
4. Assists in preparing youngsters for lasting and successful housing, vocational,
educational, and treatment experiences. Services include a “whatever
it takes” approach and include counseling, shadowing, training, modeling and
other interventions deemed necessary.
5. Documents clients’ behaviors and responses in Electronic Medical Records, and bills for services.
- MFTI and ACSW’s receive supervision for BBS hours
- Competitive compensation
- Company paid benefits package including medical, dental and vision and many other voluntary benefits
- Rewarding work environment with excellent opportunities for career growth
- Excellent work/life balance including generous vacation and holiday pay
- Meaningful relationships with your co-workers and the individuals we serve
- Family-oriented environment
- On the job training including paid CEU opportunities and career development
- Flexible work schedule and environment
- Mileage reimbursement
- Pay Type Salary
- San Jose, CA, USA