Director Of Collections Husbandry Science - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo. Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION?
The Director of Collections Husbandry Science performs all job assignments with a proactive approach that supports San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision. The Director of CHS is responsible for leading animal care at the highest level through sustainable long-range planning and strategy. This position reports to the Director of the Safari Park.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Evaluate and coordinate the animal collection
- Develop short and long-range strategic and tactical plans
- Manage curatorial, animal care, behavior, and support staff as assigned
- Assure the preparation and maintenance of a variety of collection records
- Consult with curators, animal care staff and other zoos regarding collection decisions
- Assure effective organizational communication and teambuilding
- Assure proper permits are obtained
- Meet other legal requirements in domestic and international shipping of animals
- Engage with animal care team on studbook updates and active participation, as needed, in SSPs, TAGs, and AZA committees.
- Partner with the Safari Park leadership team in design and master planning activities
- Collaborate with the architecture and operations team on habitat design
- Review and share comments on related legislation with internal stakeholders
- Provide complex interpretation of collection policies and procedures with the Animal Care team, Zoo/Park Leadership team, and other stakeholders as needed.
- Represent the organization at conferences with local, national and international partners
- Assure animal care operations comply, at the highest level, with established protocols, professional standards, and government regulations
- Develop, administer and monitor assigned budgets
- Adhere to all SDZG and department policies and practices
- Require high ethical standards and personal integrity among animal care team
- Practice SDZG Customer Service Standards
- Consult with curators, animal care, behavior, pathology, and veterinary staff as well as other zoos and partners to ensure best possible care and welfare
- Direct animal sales, loans, trades, and purchases according to Safari Park master plan, in accordance with AZA, USDA, and other guidelines
- Coordinate joint-shipments between Zoo and Safari Park
- Work with leaders on the animal care team to resolve problems and ensure team member engagement
- Create presentations to share with the greater team, partners, and donors
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Maintain a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Candidates whose qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree in Biological or Natural Sciences or a related field, or equivalent specialized training is required along with coursework and training in demographics and genetics. A valid California driver’s license in good standing is also required.
- Extensive experience in zoo/exotic animal management, including habitats
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Habitat design
- Lead, develop, and manage staff
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, and database systems
- Participate in field work in natural places
- Work effectively with the animal care team, veterinary team, and other stakeholders
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Spouse/Registered Domestic Partner Passes
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- 403b Plan
- Pension Plan
- Location: San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Duration: Year Round
- Positions available: 1
- Non-Union Position: Salary commensurate with experience
- If you are a current employee in a union position and are hired for a non-union position there will be a change in benefits so please make sure to reach out to your Benefits Representative in Human Resources.
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time.
- Posting deadline is 9:00pm on June 4th, 2020
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to work?
- Job Function 1.2
- Pay Type Salary
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA