Construction & Maintenance/Project Manager - San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo. Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests.
The Construction and Maintenance Manager – Projects is a key position within the Facilities Management team.
The ideal candidate will:
- Bring energy and a consistent, positive, problem-solving attitude
- Be self-organized and reliably follow through on all objectives and commitments
- Thrive on feedback, with a relentless focus on continuously improving themselves, the processes they manage and the overall team
- Convey information, thoughts and opinions in a persuasive manner that is appropriate to the audience
- Consider the impact of individual decisions within the broader team environment
- Make balanced and timely decisions
- Work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, identifying opportunities for mutual success
- Listen carefully and attentively, clarifying and confirming the understanding of others’ messages
The Construction and Maintenance Manager performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that supports San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Construction and Maintenance Manager is responsible for construction, remodeling, repair, and maintenance of facilities, including buildings, exhibits, roads, and electrical, lighting, plumbing, mechanical, drainage, and environmental systems. This position reports to Facilities Director.
- Manages assigned staff
- Coordinates contractors
- Prioritizes work orders and monitors job progress
- Checks work quality and verifies job completion
- Acts as construction coordinator for new projects
- Coordinates construction needs with affected departments
- Prepares project plans, proposal request specifications and managers projects
- Obtains contract proposals and negotiates contracts
- Participates in the development of assigned budget
- Monitors assigned budgets
- Assures venues are properly prepared for special events
- Conducts safety inspections of facilities
- Works within procurement policies and practices
- Adheres to all SDZG and department policies and practices
- Exemplifies the highest standard of work ethics
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Manages assigned staff and coordinates contractors in facilities construction, remodeling, repair, and maintenance
- Revises staffing assignments to accommodate emergencies and adjusts priorities as required
- Acts as construction coordinator for new projects from concept development phase through project completion, and for construction required to correct deficiencies cited by regulatory agencies
- Coordinates construction needs with departments, architectural staff, and regulatory agencies
- Maintains an automated work order system and produces work order reports as required
- Maintains administrative files as required
- Maintains a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests and effectively coordinate activities
Develops specifications and drawings; and performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Examples of representative qualifications include considerable experience in the construction industry; coursework in civil engineering, structural engineering, or a related field of Architectural training or coursework are desirable; experience working with represented labor is desirable; California general contractor's license is desirable; valid California driver license.
- Supervisory and project coordination
- Building trades, tools, equipment, and materials
- Building and safety regulations
- Inventory control practices
- Communicate effectively (written and verbal)
- Plan and estimate construction work
- Prepare bid requests and purchase requisitions and to evaluate proposals
- Understand union contracts regarding labor use restrictions
- Use automated work order, word processing, and spreadsheet systems
- Work effectively with others
- Be available before and after hours of operating schedule
Office environment; work outdoors in varying weather conditions and around plants and animals.
Move about uneven surfaces and on slippery surfaces and work from elevated positions.
Location: Construction & Maintenance Department – San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Duration: Year round
Positions available: 1
Exempt position – Salary is commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Friday, June 12, 2020
NOTE: Candidates must be available for an interview.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER – San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to work?
- Job Function 1.2
- Pay Type Salary
- 15500 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA