Research Associate - San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research
Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo. Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Research Associate will support San Diego Zoo Global’s mission of saving species worldwide by performing laboratory, animal care, and field duties in support of a variety of conservation research, endangered species propagation, and diagnostic activities. This position reports to the Associate Director Conservation Research.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
The Research Associate will work in the Conservation Genetics group at the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. The Research Associate will perform lab work using genetic methods to identify species, sex and parentage of animal species, fulfill requests for samples archived in the San Diego Zoo’s Frozen Zoo®, organize large numbers of samples, maintain extensive databases and conduct regular laboratory maintenance. The position also includes working supporting ongoing research projects in Conservation Genetics.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
Experience in nucleic acid extraction and quantitation is needed, in addition to proficiency with PCR. Knowledge on automated sequencing, and microsatellite fragment analysis is preferred. Competence in Microsoft Office computer programs is essential, and understanding of molecular data analysis programs is a plus. The applicant must have the ability to take direction, multitask, work as part of a team, and follow through on assignments in a timely fashion. Excellent attention to detail and good record-keeping with the ability to neatly organize high volumes of biological samples and electronic data. A Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences or a related field or equivalent specialized training; experience and/or certification in conducting laboratory research is desirable.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Methods and equipment used in the assigned area of biological research: Extraction, DNA/RNA quantitation, PCR amplification, sequencing of DNA, microsatellite fragment analysis, and electrophoresis
- Data and record keeping skills
- Laboratory procedures
- Safety practices
- Use and maintenance of general laboratory equipment
- Understand and interpret genetic data
- Computer programs (word processing, database, and spreadsheet systems)
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written)
- Work effectively with others
- Prepare and make presentations
- Organize and manage large numbers of samples
Some assignments involve working outdoors with wild animals in varying weather conditions; possible exposure to zoonotic diseases, radiation and potentially hazardous chemicals and materials; and working with sharp instruments.
Move moderately heavy objects approximately 35-45 pounds. Work may require travel to meetings and workshops with some international travel being possible.
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Location: San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research
- Duration: Year round
- Positions available: 1
- Non-union Position: Starting hourly wage is $18.67
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description may be requested at that time.
- Posting deadline is Thursday, July 9th, 2020 by 9:00 PM
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to work?
- Job Function 2.04
- Pay Type Hourly
- 15600 San Pasqual Valley Rd, Escondido, CA 92027, USA