Research Coordinator - Institute for Conservation Research
Are you inspired to be a part of an organization committed to protecting wildlife around the globe? San Diego Zoo Global is a mission-based, non-profit wildlife conservation organization with two world famous front doors where we unite our passion for wildlife, expertise in wildlife care, and conservation science to save species from the brink of extinction.
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT OUR MISSION
The Research Coordinator conducts assigned research activities and oversees research operations in a specialized area of biological science. This position reports to the Senior Scientist.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
- Oversees research collections of biological samples
- May provide lead guidance to assigned staff
- Assists in the development of research plans
- Reviews applicable literature
- Develops, updates, and conducts research procedures
- Oversees assigned laboratory, field, diagnostic, or research collection operations and facilities
- Develops, updates, and implements related procedures
- Selects, processes, and maintains filing systems
- Oversees maintenance and organization of research equipment
- Maintains records, inventories supplies, and prepares necessary purchase requisitions
- Documents, summarizes, and analyzes data
- Oversees, trains, and instructs volunteers, students, and others in facility operations, and research procedures
- Maintains a variety of contacts in order to respond to inquiries and requests
- Effectively coordinate activities
- Exposure to zoonotic diseases, potentially hazardous chemicals, and biohazardous materials
- May carry out laboratory, diagnostic and research projects
- May assist in developing, administering, and monitoring budgets
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The successful applicant will have 2 – 3 years minimum of experience in technical expertise to be the sole histotechnologist managing a histology laboratory with a high caseload of highly varied animals species. Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills to work as part of a team of 5 anatomic pathologists and 4 pathology technicians. Under the supervision of a manager, the histotechnologist performs histology tasks and procedures, including tissue processing, tissue embedding, microtomy, mounting, staining, and preferably immunohistochemistry. Other responsibilities include preventive maintenance of equipment, quality control, supply inventory and ordering, FFPE block filing and retrieval, data gathering and reporting, participation in research projects, training of veterinary pathology residents and veterinary student externs, and other histology related duties.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science - biology, zoology or related field
- ASCP histotechnician or histotechnologist certification
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Assigned research operations
- Communicate effectively (written and verbal)
- Use and maintain research equipment
- Prepare materials for publication
- Assist in the preparation and administration of grants is desirable
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphics, and desktop publishing systems
- Work effectively with others
- Competently perform the representative duties outlined above
- Perform each essential job function at a high level
SOME OF THE PERKS YOU WILL ENJOY AS A TEAM MEMBER
- Free admission to the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
- Family Passes
- Complimentary Tickets
- Local and In-House Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- 403b Plan
- Pension Plan
- Location: Institute for Conservation Research – San Diego Zoo
- Duration: Year round
- Positions available: 1
- Non-Union position: Salary is commensurate with experience
- Candidates must be available for an interview if contacted. Full job description available upon request.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER - San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to email@example.com and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Join our team and build a career protecting wildlife around the globe with your passion for wildlife!
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA