Savage CANAC Corporation, an established supply chain solutions company, is seeking a Safety, Health & Environment Supervisor to provide strategic direction, development and execution of the safety, health, environmental and quality (SH&E) plan at Savage’s new world-class rail and transloading operation near Edmonton, Alberta. The right candidate will lead the development of SH&E procedures and safe operational practices through both the commissioning and operation phase.
- Lead in safety, health and environment. Particularly will provide guidance and leadership to the operator-lead Safety Specialist and Lead Safety Specialist teams
- Work closely with the Operations Manager, the Group SH&E Director and their safety teams in implementing all internal safety related auditing measures (S7) as well as CCOHS, Transport Canada and FRA standards.
- Interface with all safety regulatory agencies such as CCOHS and Transport Canada
- Work with the engineering department to ensure current and future facilities are designed with safety in mind and meet industry standards and regulations
- Partner with the Operations Managers to represent the operation in front of customers, vendors, and others with an invested interest on all safety related issues
- Work with all team members to develop and deliver procedural and regulatory training
- Monitor and trend safety statistics in the operation and advise and implement corrective actions that lead to zero incidents
- Establish a proactive SHE&Q process towards incident prevention
- Serve as the knowledge bank for regulatory compliance requirements
- Obtain and manage all required permits needed to operate
- Lead post-accident investigations and work with managers to develop strong “return-to-work” programs for the operation
- Serve as Incident Commander during emergencies; available 24/7 for such emergencies
- Interface with the customer’s safety department on all SHE&Q related issues
- Participate in Savage’s Safety Advisory Group, working to improve safety in all groups and levels at Savage
- In-depth knowledge in the transportation and storage of petroleum products and other hazardous chemicals; emphasis on rail, pipeline and crude storage
- A desire to work in the field, alongside operators, in an industrial environment
- Broad knowledge and understanding of safety, including a mix of CCOHS, Transport Canada and FRA regulations, and American Petroleum Institute guidelines
- Processional certifications in safety, such as the CRSP or CSP are preferred
- Proven ability to analyze situations and data to make sound decisions
- Comfortable in front of a group: whether it’s training frontline employees or presenting a safety plan of action to a potential customer
- Computer skills: MS Office Suite with the ability to navigate Savage’s internal reporting system for statistical analysis
- Excellent written communication skills for writing reports, trainings, proposals and more. Writing must be concise and exact
- Impeccable integrity
- Detail oriented and self-starter
- Responds well to high-pressure situations
- Comfortable working in an industrial/refinery environment and the hazards that accompany it: exposure to all weather elements, climbing on top of and underneath railcars, inspecting conveyor systems several stories high, lifting 40+ lbs, walking long distances on uneven ground and more
- Treats people fairly with dignity and respect
- Embraces and teaches company culture
- Can travel on occasion and for extended periods of time
- BA/BS is preferred
- Minimum of 5 years as a safety professional in a rail, refinery, oil and gas or other industrial environment is preferred
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or email@example.com.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 15
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Edmonton, AB, Canada