Our Operations Managers come to Savage for the daily challenge, opportunities for growth, teamwork, our focus on safety, and competitive pay, but they stay because of the outstanding culture that exists here. A culture that encourages Team Members to find a better way and enables them to “do things they never dreamed possible”. Whether that is accomplishing new goals in your existing position or working toward the next step in your career, you’ll find your path at Savage.
The successful candidate will be leading a specialized team in planning, organizing and managing one of our transload operations, ensuring railcar switching and loading procedures are done in a safe, environmentally friendly, and efficient manner.
These are just a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- Opportunities for Growth
- Annual bonus
- Paid Holidays
- Profit Sharing
- Annual Steel-toe boot allowance
- Excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
Here is what you will be doing
- Participate in budget preparation, management of profit and loss, and daily communication with customers and railroads on scheduling and other issues to ensure a smooth and safe operation.
- Provide "Worry-free Consistency" service to the customers on every shift every day
- Learn, implement, teach, and execute the S7 Operating System
- Ability to build strong relationships with customer contacts
- Ability to understand the customer contract and rate structure
- Ability to delegate and utilize time management well
- Ability to develop and execute a business plan (including budgeting, projecting, variance analysis, and cost management)
- Ability to promote a safety culture where each employee has the value and attitude that unsafe behaviors and conditions will not happen on their shift
- Committed to teaching and promoting personal responsibility for identifying and performing safe behaviors, conditions, and environmental responsibility
- A positive leader with the ability to be proactive in problem solving, making decisions, organizing and directing people, and utilizing coaching techniques for improving behaviors
- Innovative solutions driven to keep employee turnover low
- Build and maintain strong relationships with vendors
- Work with administrative systems to support operation to meet deadlines
- Set an example of professionalism and customer service
- Hands on leadership with operational and technical skills to ensure that "best practices" are being utilized
- Create an environment where people are committed to professionalism and cleanliness
Create an environment for team building with emphasis on individual development and growth
Requirements of a successful Operations Manager
- Possesses experience and knowledge with;
- Locomotive in plant-switching operations
- Transloading dry bulk and liquid hazardous materials
- Transloading dimensional material via forklift
- Warehouse management
- Track Maintenance
- Hands on, hard-working, self-starter
- In-depth knowledge of locomotive operations is a plus
- Loading and warehouse management a plus
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to hire right, train right, and treat right all team members
- Must have leadership skills to ensure team members follow procedures at all times even when no one is watching
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with and perform basic computer operations (spreadsheet, word processor, and email operations), and general office organization
- Good written and oral skills with an ability to communicate with co-workers, customers, and other company personnel
- Dynamic personality to lead employees and put safety first
- Hands-on experience in rail car switching and/or track maintenance preferred but not required
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements
- Desire and willingness to learn
What we will need from you
- College degree preferred
- 3+ years management experience
- 5+ years of rail car switching and loading experience preferred
- Ability to work outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions for up to 12 hours
- Ability to lift and carry at least 50 pounds on an occasional basis
- Ability to climb rail car ladders
- Ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Ability to walk three (3) to five (5) miles each day
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or email@example.com.
- Job Family Team Leader
- Pay Type Salary
- Elko, NV 89801, USA