SH&E Supervisor (Bilingual)
Savage CANAC Corporation, an established supply chain solutions company, is seeking a Safety, Health & Environment Supervisor to provide strategic direction and safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) support to Savage’s operations in Eastern Canada.
- Lead in safety, health, and environment. Provide guidance and leadership to Safety Specialist, Lead Safety Specialist, and frontline Team Members.
- Work closely with the Operations Managers, Director of Operations, Sr. SH&E Manager, and their safety teams in implementing all internal safety related auditing measures (S7) as well as CCOHS, Transport Canada, and provincial safety standards.
- Interface with all safety regulatory agencies such as CCOHS and Transport Canada
- Collaborate with the Operations Managers to represent the operation in front of customers, vendors, and others with an invested interest on all safety related issues.
- Works as a liaison with Savage project manager for supervision of third party contractors.
- Work with all Team Members to develop and deliver procedural and regulatory training.
- Monitor and trend leading and lagging safety metrics in the operation and advise and implement corrective actions that lead improve safety performance.
- Establish a proactive SH&E process towards incident prevention.
- Serve as the knowledge bank for regulatory compliance requirements.
- Obtain (when required) and manage all required permits needed to operate.
- Lead post-accident investigations and work with managers to develop strong “return-to-work” programs for the operations they support.
- Serve as Incident Commander during emergencies; available 24/7 for such emergencies.
- Interface with the customer’s safety department on all SH&E related issues.
- Participate on applicable Savage councils, committees, and team working to improve safety in all groups and at all levels within Savage.
- BA/BS is preferred
- CRSP or similar safety certifications preferred
- Minimum of 5 years as a safety professional in a rail, refinery, oil and gas, marine terminal, or other industrial environment is preferred
- Fluent in both English and French (Canadian/Quebec - French)
- In-depth knowledge in the transportation, loading/unloading, and storage of chemicals and bulk products with an emphasis on rail and marine terminals preferred
- A desire to work in the field, alongside operators, in an industrial environment
- Willingness to work in roles outside of the scope of SH&E in a time of need
- Broad knowledge and understanding of safety, including a mix of CCOHS, Transport Canada, NS CSA-COR certification, and provincial regulations
- Knowledge of workers compensation requirements (WCB, CNESST, etc.)
- Professional certifications in safety, such as the CRSP or CSP are preferred
- Proven ability to analyze situations, make sound decisions, and work with all stakeholders to deliver sustainable solutions
- Comfort delivering professional content in front of a group, including, but not limited to: training frontline team members, presenting a safety plan of action to Senior Leadership Team, or a potential customer
- Computer skills: MS Office Suite with the ability to navigate Savage’s internal reporting system for statistical analysis
- Excellent written communication skills for writing reports, trainings, proposals, and more. Writing must be concise and exact
- Impeccable integrity
- Detail oriented and self-starter
- Responds well to high-pressure situations
- Comfortable working in an industrial environment and the hazards that accompany it, including but not limited to: exposure to all weather elements, ability to climb on top of and underneath railcars, inspecting conveyor systems several stories high, lifting 40+ lbs, and walking long distances on uneven ground
- Treats people fairly with dignity and respect
- Embraces and teaches company culture
- Willing and able to travel within the Eastern Canada region about 50% and outside of Canada on occasion
- Have access to reliable vehicle for travel between operations / airport in Nova Scotia (CRA mileage rate applicable, outside of home terminal area)
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or email@example.com.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Point Tupper, NS B9A 1Y9, Canada
- Sydney, NS, Canada