Railcar Maintenance Mechanic
The Railcar Maintenance Mechanic duties will encompass responsibility for safely performing the basic tasks required to ensure proper maintenance and repair of an owned and leased fleet of railcars. Duties will encompass, however are not limited to: accomplishing tasks associated with maintenance and operation for the mechanical components of the railcars fleet, posting and completing work orders within the company specific computer data base, accurate completion of all required documentation (regulator and internal), reporting repairs and demonstrating a basic understanding of the operation and maintenance of industrial mobile equipment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Complete daily safety inspection of equipment and facilities to ensure safe operations
- Perform routine clean-up, housekeeping, and maintenance of facilities, equipment and coal handling system
- Complete all training as identified as mandatory for regulatory compliance, as well as company associated course and training assigned by the Savage. Training sessions may involve in-house, on line. Training may be conducted locally or on occasion - out of state and offsite training.
- Must be able to safely perform the essential functions of the job without posing a direct threat to the safety of his or her own self, or the safety of others
- Perform other tasks as instructed
What you need:
- High School or GED required
- Coal handling railcar experience preferred
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisors(s), adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules
- Properly wear all required Personal Protect Equipment as deem necessary by labor standards and Savage
- Basic understanding of the mechanical components of industrial mobile and maintenance of way equipment
- Ability to read, write, and understand English, follow written and/or verbal instruction, and possess basic math and computer skills
- Must be willing to work any shift, including weekends, holidays and overtime as needed
- Willingness to qualify in train operation and train handling
Must have the ability to perform the essential physical functions of the position:
- Work in an environment containing coal dust, hazardous noise, confined space, and in hot or cold environments
- Work at heights , climbing stairs, and climbing ladders
- Walk on uneven ground
- Walk up to 3 miles per shift
- Must be able to pass a fit test and pulmonary function test for the purposes of wearing a respirator and recertify annually or as needed;
- Lift up to 50 pounds frequently
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or email@example.com.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required No
- Required Education High School
- Mooresboro, NC, USA