Industrial Rail Engineer/Conductor - 2nd Shift
At Savage, we pride ourselves on providing our Team Members with a focus on safety not typically seen in other companies . You will enjoy working in a 5S environment that is safe to work in and free of clutter while receiving top-notch safety training and procedures to ensure that everyone makes it home every night to their loved ones. Hire Right, Train Right, Treat Right…it’s the Savage way.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the daily rail car movement in our facility located in Toledo, OH.
These are a few of the benefits you can expect from working with Savage
- We provide Uniforms & PPE (laundering included)
- Annual steel toe boot allowance
- Paid Holidays
- Excellent Benefits including medical, dental, vision, and 401(k) with match
- Rotating shift: 12 hour rotating shifts (days / nights / weekends / holidays)
- Regular work week-Mon-Fri (2nd Shift 1pm-9pm)
What you will be doing
- Operate a locomotive
- Assist with spotting cars on the correct track; move empty cars and build the outbound train
- Visually inspect rail cars and perform air brakes inspections
- Cross train and willingness to assist in the different functions performed at the facility
- Participate in and promote Savage safety program
- Communicate with Team Members, railroad employees by radio, signals or other means to give and receive train operations information and aid in the movement and operation of trains
- Prepare necessary paperwork associated with the movement of the rail cars
- Understand and adhere to rail rules and regulations as prescribed by Savage, our customer, and the Railroad
- Have the desire to build strong customer relations on a daily basis
Requirements of a successful Locomotive Engineer
- Understands the importance of good communication with the customer and other Savage employees
- 1+ years Engineer or conductor experience
- Strong customer service and ability to professionally deliver service to the customer
- Ability to read, write and understand English and able to follow written and/or verbal instructions
- Cross train to assist in all areas of the Operation
- Works safely at all times including the willingness to wear required PPE
- Must follow all rules and procedures as outlined by Savage
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Here are some of the physical requirements of this role
- Ascend and descend ladders and steps and should not have a fear of heights
- They should also have the ability to use basic hand tools
- Must be able to lift 80 lbs.
- Must be able to climb on and off rail cars and locomotives
- Must be able to walk on ballast/uneven ground for up to 12 hours/day
- Must be willing to work 12 hour rotating shifts
- Must be able to pass the plant's site requirement test
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or email@example.com.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Toledo, OH, USA