Rail Operations Trainer
Savage Services is currently hiring for a Rail Operations Trainer for our operations located in North America. In this position, your main responsibility will be to lead the safety and technical training efforts as a member of the Technical Training Team with a focus on the industrial rail switching, Hazmat training, regulatory, and operational training needs. You will be responsible for training across North America both digitally and in person. This position will be based at our corporate offices in Midvale, UT.
What you'll be doing:
- Provides both in-class and on-the job field training to new and existing team members
- Coordinates and conducts all New Hire Rail training for switchmen, locomotive operators and any Team Member requiring Rail related training
- Provides leadership and serves as a resource to operations concerning operational safety, compliance, technical service and works with the Technical Training Team and Operations to implement and manage a structured field training program
- Coaches, mentors, advises, and follows-up with field trainers in order to optimize the effectiveness of field training across the region
- Interacts with Operations Managers, Safety professionals, other leaders and stakeholders to understand what training and performance issues exist and works to bring meaningful solutions to those challenges
- Works with the Technical Training Team to develop training materials and resources for all safety, rail and regulatory related training within the region
- Works with the Service Support Center and the Training Team in the development, implementation and execution of the New Hire Rail Operation, Field Training Program, and Hazardous Materials training.
- Has the ability to develop and teach Savage’s safety tools and how these can be used to identify, correct, and when necessary avoid safety hazards.
- Creates an environment for the growth and development of co-workers
- Works with customers to understand their safety expectations and ensure a “No Worry” relationship in the safety and training areas
- In the event of an occurrence, may assist the operational team to ensure the safety of everyone involved, perform tap roots, and make corrections to keep the occurrence from happening again
- Participate in start-up operations overseeing the implementation of training to ensure safe work practices.
What you'll need to be successful:
- Rail-related Experience as a switchman and locomotive operator is preferred; if the right candidate has extensive training experience they may be considered for the position if they are willing to learn the necessary skills in the field
- Experience working in, or supporting the Rail Industry from a safety, training or operating perspective is preferred
- Must have some experience in training a group of team members i.e. new hiring training, safety presentations, etc.
- 2-5 years’ safe work experience
- Safety Specialist and Lead Safety Specialist preferred
- Understands or has been trained in FRA, OSHA and/or Hazmat regulations for one or more of the industries supported by Savage
- Strong PC skills, especially with Microsoft PowerPoint and other Office applications
- Ability to leverage PC skills to develop and track information as well as research and analyze information
- Candidate must be located or willing to relocate to Salt Lake City, Utah
- Must have the ability and willingness to travel at least 50% a month during the work week.
- Ability to work outside in different weather conditions
- Ability to work different shifts and weekends as needed
Savage has been designated as a 2020 Military Friendly Employer. Additional information on our Veteran’s Program, “Savage Patriots” can be found at https://www.savageservices.com/careers-for-veterans/.
Savage is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug free workplace.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 50
- Required Education High School
- Midvale, UT, USA