Our staff counsel department is seeking an EPL Sr. Trial Attorney to join our growing team in our Glendale, CA offices or any major city in the greater Los Angeles or San Diego area. 100% remote work with travel requirement available for the right candidate. For an experienced candidate we would also consider a remote work option.
As a member of our California Staff Counsel group, this attorney will be primarily responsible for handling the defense of employment matters, which will consist of defending both non-litigated and litigated employment disputes. This attorney will be responsible for responding to demand letters, state and federal agency charges, and lawsuits which have been filed against Hanover’s insureds. This attorney will also be responsible for investigation and management of assigned cases from the inception of the lawsuit until conclusion through dismissal, settlement, or trial, and working with adjusters and insureds to resolve claims as expeditiously and efficiently as possible. This attorney may also be called upon to assist with general liability and/or professional liability matters as needed, and thus, experience in this area is preferred.
This is a full-time, exempt role.
• Handles a caseload which includes employment practices liability, and potential general liability and miscellaneous professional liability matters.
• Independently conducts trials, depositions, pre-trial discovery, mediations, arbitrations or any other legal activity required to resolve cases.
• Daily communications with claim professionals concerning the evaluations of legal files.
• Provides legal advice to insureds and claim professionals as needed.
• Negotiates settlements as directed.
• Attends round tables.
• Must be licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts in California.
• 5-7 years’ experience in employment litigation matters with an emphasis on representation of employers is preferred.
• Jury trial experience is desirable.
• Must have a strong knowledge of current procedural and substantive law, as well as federal, state, and administrative agency rules.
• Must demonstrate an ability to analyze issues, pro-actively develop effective strategies on pending cases, communicate regularly with claims professionals, document communications, and resolve cases as efficiently and effectively as possible.
• Must have solid experience in preparing responsive pleadings, handling appearances, motion practice, and valuation of claims, settlement and trials.
• Must be willing to work independently with minimal direction, handle claims efficiently, and be willing to travel as necessary.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.