Our Enterprise Data and Analytics group is looking for a Data Scientist to join our growing team in our Worcester Headquarters.
This position combines advanced and creative technical knowledge with sound business acumen and judgment, based on solid experience with a range of business decisions to maximize profit and growth in a highly competitive marketplace. Demonstrates advanced statistical analysis skill, data mining, actuarial and/or research techniques combined with an intermediate level of understanding of Machine Learning techniques and a broader awareness of the business, general enterprise analytics, and the research community, to function in a collaborative and consultative role. Leads discussions with executives and management regarding the interpretation of research and its business inferences. Research undertaken has a potentially sizable dollar impact on pricing, marketing, finance, and risk management. May direct multiple complex research projects simultaneously as well as aspects of large and complex initiatives. May mentor more junior staff and direct their efforts.
This is a full-time, exempt role.
Data Management and Pre-Modeling:
• Develops best practices around extracting, analyzing, merging and constructing databases.
• Seeks new databases, including evaluation and acquisition of external data, software, and other tools in support of key strategic initiatives.
• Consults on management information aspects of technology initiatives.
• Identifies the appropriate data for analysis, anticipates integrity issues and other possible roadblocks, and understands potential future uses of data beyond the task at hand.
• Directs, performs and interprets appropriate exploratory analysis such as data mining, empirical data analysis, univariate analysis, partitioning analysis etc.
• Modeling Design & Monitoring:
• Provides roadmap to design models using available data, tools and programming languages, supports the implementation in a real-world framework, and establishes monitoring processes to ensure optimal predictive performance over time.
• Shares new ideas on advanced analytical techniques and their application to the business.
• Provides and/or independently gathers requirements from appropriate business partners for project, including necessary data for analysis to be performed.
• Guides implementation of models in real-world framework.
• Develops and manages preliminary project plans, ensures optimal and effective execution on deliverables within agreed upon timeframes, monitors program milestones and critical dates to identify potential jeopardy of project schedules, identifies ways to remove obstacles, communicates progress and makes recommendations to address issues, and manages any effects on related projects.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a relevant analytical field.
• Minimum of 5 years analyst experience including the ability to work with large, complex databases.
• Pro-active, inquisitive attitude - seeking to improve processes and reports to facilitate better decision making.
• Expresses a desire to learn more about the business and to apply that knowledge to day-to-day work.
• Requires Master's Degree in Physics or Computer Science plus 5 years of statistical predictive modeling experience, including insurance-specific predictive modeling; preferably a PhD, in Statistics/Applied Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or Economics, or a related field, plus 8+ years of experience.
• Solid understanding of database principles; experience in data manipulation and cleaning; experience in identification and resolution of data issues.
• Advanced Excel skills and demonstrated experience in programming languages such as SAS, SQL, VBA, R, Python etc. Should be proficient in at least two of the following languages: SAS, SQL, R and/or Python.
• Awareness of typical insurance data sources, both internal and external.
• Business Enterprise Knowledge.
• Creates an environment that encourages and values the opinions of others and promotes sharing of information and ideas.
• Results Orientated.
• Relationship Building.
• Strategic Thinking.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong self-management skills; ability to manage multiple projects and timelines.
• Proven ability in complex quantitative analysis.
• Excellent problem-solving skills.
• Ability to multitask and meet all deadlines with quality product.
• Identifies business problems, champions efforts/solutions and ensures appropriate monitoring.