HSSO - Director Contract Management
Our Finance department is seeking a Director, Contract Management to join our growing team. This position may be based in any of our Hanover offices.
The successful candidate will negotiate and provide legal opinion for the Strategic Sourcing group’s commercial contracts. The individual will coordinate with the departments across The Hanover Insurance Group to gather best practices and help develop a streamlined process on efficiently reviewing and negotiating Master Services Agreements, Trial Service Agreements, PO Terms and Conditions, and other specialized contractual documents to be determined. Insurance experience is not required, but a desire and ability to develop a solid understanding of the company’s operations and priorities, to complement the effectiveness of the role, is expected.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Contributes to developing and maintaining ongoing relationships and accountability for the unit(s) being served.
- Counsels management, as appropriate, with oversight of more senior counsel.
- Evaluates factual information, and provides research, counsel, and guidance on legal questions or issues.
- Review and negotiate over 350 commercial agreements per year.
- Develop a continuous improvement program that strategizes with the Office of the General Counsel that will determine escalations and risk thresholds as well as update the key commercial contracts.
- Partner with VP, Strategic Sourcing in developing a company-wide engagement process on how business units should engage Strategic Sourcing.
- Implement and create updates to Hanover’s PO Terms and Conditions, Pilot Terms and Conditions, and Consulting Terms and Conditions documents.
- Juris Doctorate required with 3+ years’ experience in document and contract review, not necessarily commercial contracts.
- Able to efficiently review, negotiate, and drive to completion over 300 commercial contracts.
- Able to engineer new processes.
- Candidate must be licensed to practice law and in good standing.
- Integrates and balances big-picture concerns with day-to-day activities.
- Knows how to accomplish and resolve matters through formal organizational channels and through informal networks.
- Is viewed as an internal resource capable of practically applying technical expertise to real business problems and/or opportunities.
- Continues to develop in-depth knowledge and functional expertise in select professional disciplines.
- Surfaces problems and issues before projects become derailed.
- Addresses business partner needs by involving the right people (resources) at the right time, understanding the ultimate objectives, being responsive and developing more creative solutions.
- Excellent written and oral communication, contract drafting and editing, and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical ability, critical and strategic thinking skills and attention to detail and project management skills to ensure appropriate execution.
- Demonstrates The Hanover’s core values of collaboration, accountability, respect and empowerment.
- Though not required, experience with property & casualty independent agency channel distribution matters, or a demonstrated capability to develop an expertise in comparable topics, is a significant plus.
Key Measures of Success:
- Develop and maintain a Master Services Agreement playbook.
- Ability to negotiate over 300 master services agreements.
- Maintains and supports the evolution of legal commercial documents.
- Streamline processes and flows to reduce bottleneck in contractual review.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.
- Job Function Accounting/Finance
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Doctorate
- United States
- Worcester, MA, USA