Our staff counsel department is seeking a Lead Trial Attorney to join our growing team in our New York City offices.
Independently investigates and manages cases of moderate to serious exposure and complexity in civil litigation from the inception of the lawsuit until conclusion through dismissal, settlement or trial. Works with adjuster and clients to resolve claims as expeditiously and efficiently as possible. Serve as mentor to developing attorneys.
This is a full-time, exempt role.
• Meets with clients and claims professionals to resolve cases in the most cost effective manner.
• Conducts pre-trial discovery and investigations, mediations, arbitrations or any other legal activity required.
• May independently conduct trials.
• Advises claim professionals on the evaluation of legal files.
• Provides legal advice to clients and other claim professionals as needed. Negotiates settlements as directed.
• Attends round tables.
• Must have insurance defense trial experience.
• Must have a valid driver's license, an acceptable MVR and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Admitted to the bar and must be licensed to practice law in the jurisdictions where assigned.
• Able to work in a team environment with other attorneys, adjusters, claims professionals and support staff.
• Computer literacy, including MS Word, Lexis/Westlaw, and daily management of e-mail and calendar.
Advocacy: Solid knowledge and ability to defend complex cases.
Negotiation Skills: Consistently influences claim outcomes through demonstration of effective negotiation techniques.
Communication: Strong ability to deliberately and precisely exchange thoughts and opinions with one or more persons and to effectively translate legal language and ideas into layman's terms.
Decision Making: Strong ability to arrive at a determination in complex situations after careful consideration of facts and law without procrastination.
Organization Skills: Strong ability to categorize and prioritize work and information to effectively and efficiently maximize productivity.
Investigative Skills: Proficiency in following up step by step on inquiry or observation and search and examine with care and accuracy. Consistently able to take evidence that may be used in reaching a legal conclusion.
Legal Research: Proficiency in locating and interpreting cases, codified laws and statutes. Ability to communicate reasonable and accurate conclusions and render opinion supported by current law.
Courtroom Skills: Able to demonstrate appropriate courtroom behavior, attire and decorum and is knowledgeable of the rules and regulations that govern proceedings and conduct in courts of law or other legal forums and tribunals. Provides the highest professional service to clients and claims professionals.
Career Development: Takes proactive responsibility for their career development. Maintains the necessary skill levels.
Trial Skills: Has the ability to effectively present evidence and arguments of law to a judge or jury.
Business/Industry: Has an interest and solid knowledge of current and possible future policies, practices, trends and information affecting The Hanover Insurance Group’s businesses; Knowledgeable in the basic principles of property and casualty insurance.
Agile: Recognizes unexpected challenges and is able to adapt and overcome obstacles, to remain on course.
Mentor and Teach: Willingness and ability to mentor and teach others. Ability to use a personal computer and other standard office equipment.