Chief Underwriting Officer, Northeast
The Hanover is seeking a/an Middle Market Commercial Lines Underwriting Officer to join our growing team in our Northeast region.
The Hanover Insurance Group currently has an opening for a Regional Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO) to join the Middle market and Field for the Southeast Region. The ideal candidate will reside in be interested in working out of Southeast one of our branch offices any of these Southeast states –VA, GA or NC. Reporting to the Regional President and President Middle Market, the Regional CUO drives sales underwriting excellence in commercial lines middle market branches and ensures performance meets profit and growth objectives. This role works closely with Middle Market and Field CL Leadership to drive underwriting and portfolio quality, sales and operations excellence, talent development, strategy development and execution.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Partnering with Regional President and President Middle Market, develops and implements long and short term underwriting strategies, and participates in strategic business planning activities that are designed to increase our presence in the market and effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned region(s).
- Participates in the establishment of underwriting and product implementation strategies that are reflective of marketplace conditions, while at the same time, meet our growth and profit goals.
- Collaborates with and provides oversight to the regional underwriting staff on portfolio management and strategic underwriting decisions to ensure production, financial and underwriting objectives with respect to profitability are achieved. Drives and communicates sound underwriting strategies and standards through the organization.
- Interacts with regional underwriting staff including the Regional Vice Presidents, Commercial Lines Managers and Underwriters on their respective books of business, including acting as a referral and collaboration resource.
- Monitors and takes appropriate underwriting actions in conjunction with underwriting staff.
- Develops and maintains relationships with Operations, Loss Control, and Claims to operationalize underwriting decisions.
- Collaborates with Actuarial and Industry Solutions Teams and enhancement of products, underwriting policies and risk appetite as needed.
- Recommends updates to underwriting guidelines, and monitors production and rate levels.
- Proactively responds to regulatory and legal environment.
- Builds and maintains customer and agent relationships.
- Maintains keen understanding of industry competitors in each market segment. Identifies trends and emerging issues. Closely monitors underwriting results for region(s).
- Participates in underwriting audits as well as internal quality review audits from a Home-Office perspective.
- Collaborates with all relevant parties to acquire and develop talent required to execute effectively.
- Assures compliance with corporate and regulatory requirements.
Required Skills, Key Competencies and Experience:
- Ability to collaborate with and influence, particularly with senior level field leadership, as this role will be working across multiple branches and regions.
- Ability to effectively coach managers and Sales Underwriters and balance multiple priorities in a dynamic and very fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills are essential; effective face-to-face interactions and presentations to groups, as well as strong phone skills, along with sound written communications, including impeccable follow through.
- Passion for driving actions and achieving results, with a competitive spirit of winning and an orientation towards achievement.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Insurance certification(s) preferred.
- 10+ years proven property-casualty underwriting experience, with broad underwriting experience across classes of business and lines of business in middle market environment High degree of business, insurance and marketplace knowledge.
- Clearly demonstrates specific knowledge requirements in the areas of underwriting, book management, marketing and product development.
- Solid understanding of Commercial Lines products, financials, issuing systems, service requirements and overall goals and objectives.
- Advanced business acumen.
- Analytical thinking.
- Advanced underwriting acumen and sales management skills.
- Ability to Influence.
- Effective interpersonal communication.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.
- Job Family Underwriter
- Job Function Underwriting
- Pay Type Salary
- Worcester, MA, USA