Director of Security Engineering
Our IT Security Organization is seeking a Director of Security Engineering to join our growing team in our Worcester, MA or Glastonbury, CT office.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Information Security Officer, you will be responsible for engineering solutions that support the core monitoring, analysis, and response portion of the organization’s mission to monitor and defend the Hanover enterprise.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
- Supervises the activity of the Security Engineering team. Recruits, hires, trains, and assesses the staff
- Manages the escalation process including control breaks, patching, upgrades, technology lifecycle
- Proactively paces, manages and maintains Change Calendar
- Assigns, monitors and mentors workflow from IT Management Ticketing
- Implements Incremental Improvements in an ongoing basis based on key performance indicators
- Seeks and directs continuous engineering improvements: configuration, tuning, availability, security, effective use, innovation
- Manages Intake requirements
- Assigns and evaluates Technology ownership and Accountability
- Runs compliance reports and supports the audit process.
- Measures Security Engineering performance metrics and communicates the value of security engineering to business leaders.
- Lead and manage the hybrid outsourced and geographically dispersed security team
- Primarily responsible for designing and supporting event feeds for security event information management and monitoring
- Provide leadership, clarity and transparency in engineering coordination across multiple disciplines and in conjunction with IT Incident managers
- Maintain capability maps in conjunction with security architects for strategic advancement of SOC detection, analysis, response, and prevention capabilities.
- Partner with operations, development and other teams to improve Hanover’s network and cloud defense posture.
- Responsible for team growth and mentoring to ensure engineering acumen for resilient, effective, financially efficient controls
- Responsible for vendor management and measurement to contracted terms including SaaS solutions
- Encourage an open collaborative working environment
- Participate in Threat & Vulnerability response Key Risk Indicators for daily trending and resource allocation
- Ensure the quality of procedural documentation and the appropriate use of GRC functionality
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science, Management, or a related field, or other equivalent experience
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in information security or information technology (IT)
- Prior experience in running security engineering programs in large environments
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the USA without sponsorship now or in the future
Personal and Professional Competencies:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with executive leadership on cybersecurity incidents
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle high pressure situations with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated verbal and oral ability to translate complex technical problems to a non-technical audience
- Ability to engage with business stakeholders translating detailed analysis into relevant briefings
- Ability to manage multiple activities and events simultaneously, with a strong ability to prioritize multiple tasks and respond to high-priority events; organizing and scheduling work effectively
- Change Management regimen – impact analysis, planning, checkout and conflict analysis
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.
- Job Function Information Technology
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required No
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Glastonbury, CT, USA
- Worcester, MA, USA