Our Strategic Marketing department is seeking a Vice President, Business Innovation to join our growing team.
The Innovation & Strategic Integration leadership positions play an important leadership role on projects to develop new products and businesses around emerging technologies (e.g. big data, digital, Internet of Things). Individuals in these roles are thought leaders and drive hard business results for products which are rapidly growing in scale and complexity.
• Owns high-level strategy formulation, develops corresponding mid-level strategies and oversees creation and implementation of such. Provides strategic leadership in creating and implementing programs/projects/processes and/or in leading large operational areas.
• Provides leadership and oversight of the delivery of high impact/complex projects as required. In partnership with identified leaders, establishes strategy for division/business unit within corporate strategic initiatives. Integrates functional strategies and develops specific objectives for sub-functions and develops policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure. Is accountable for results.
• Drives the development of and surfaces cross-functional business challenges and dependencies. Proactively creates and implements solutions in partnership with IT and business leadership.
• Individually and within their team(s), maintains a strong understanding across multiple substantial project work streams (e.g. consumer insights, technology, business development), being a thought partner for work stream leaders.
• Accountable for the delivery of important, complex initiatives related to scaling a business, particularly which impact multiple work streams. Examples include designing organizational operating models, leading “zero-based” design of business processes and overseeing strategic planning processes. This individual is ultimately accountable for team outcomes under the EVP Chief Technology Innovation Officer.
• Leads continuous improvement of systems, processes and practices within a rapidly scaling product/business – e.g. metrics tracking, information flow and management, business process improvement, organizational planning.
• Utilizes expertise of enterprise strategies and key business objectives to facilitate alignment and resolution within stakeholders’ teams throughout the organization (e.g. marketing, research, design, technology, risk management). Ensures team serves as hub of cross-functional collaboration for a given project.
• Manages and ensures success of all significant sub-functions within a broader corporate function. Develops proposed budgets and manages budget once approved. Ensures accurate planning and reporting of financial metrics in support of the overall innovation plan. Typically owns and is held accountable for multiple initiatives.
• Handles highly complex issues that require resolution at this senior management level. May require exceptional levels of customer relations or specialty knowledge with the broader function. Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers. Interactions frequently involve special skills, such as negotiating with customers or management attempting to influence senior level leaders regarding matters of significance to the organization.
• Responsible for ensuring employees within their respective areas are being developed and talent is being prepared for future critical contributor and/or leadership roles. They partner with HR and Talent Development to ensure strong career path planning is in place and succession pipelines are being actively
managed. They work with peer level leaders on cross functional talent management activities to ensure the success of the division and ultimately the overall company.
• Provides regular feedback and coaching to their respective direct reports and ensures all people managers reporting to them do the same.
• Team player with a warm, collaborative nature; develops relationships, followership and influence to get things done
• Holds self and others accountable for results
• Balances strategic and operational priorities to get results, allocating efforts against the highest value areas.
• Seizes opportunities
Leads with Character:
• Puts the Hanover’s interests first, before team’s or self-interests
• Exhibits emotional intelligence, and personal/ professional maturity
• Understands and is responsive to own and others’ feelings
• Acts with respect, authenticity, and humility
• Values and builds relationships
• Strong work ethic with an inherent sense of ownership and responsibility
• Demonstrates intellectual versatility and ability to build expertise on unfamiliar subject areas
• Exhibits strong problem-solving skills across a wide range of business and product issues (e.g. technology, operations, organization, markets, competition)
• Interested in and conversant about technology
• Prepares and delivers cohesive, concise and clear oral and written communications. Uses a variety of communication styles and formats, appropriate to the audience and situation.
• Creates ongoing communication to all involved parties – business partners, team members, leaders, etc. Effectively communicates the team’s accomplishments, issues and status.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Administration, or other related field. Or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum of 15+ years of business/industry and/or IT work experience, with at least 10+ years of leadership experience and 7+ years of managing projects and/or project portfolios or leading operational areas. Experience working in Innovation a plus.
• Maintains expert-level knowledge of the businesses, processes and/or technologies they are currently supporting and a proven willingness to stay knowledgeable about and introduce new businesses, processes and/or technologies that would enhance our businesses.
• Demonstrated professional leadership style that motivates and inspires, embodies the values that attract top talent and develops employees to their desired potential.
• Has strong business partner relationship and vendor management skills
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.