Director, Employee Relations & Compliance
A confident, highly self-motivated and directed individual with a keen attention to detail with proven analytical, evaluative and problem-solving capability. Will operate with a high level of integrity (do what is right) and can gain the trust of multiple stakeholders and interact successfully with senior leadership. Manage conflict to find a common ground while valuing inclusion and different perspectives.
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to deliver effective leadership, strategic direction, performance management, communication, relationship building, decision making, and influence management as a senior leader of the Human Resources Team. Provides mentoring and guidance necessary to build, develop and sustain a high-performance culture within the HR function and across the enterprise. Keen focus on mitigating potential impact of employee relations issues and creating alignment, consistency and accountability in the management of employee relations and employee engagement initiatives.
Reports to the Vice President of Human Resources – Shared Services & Business Partnership, who, in turn, reports to the EVP, Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Provide Employee Relations support, thought partnership, and coaching for all employees and levels of management in the organization.
- Assess different types of risk and bring creative and effective ideas and solutions to a growing organization.
- Integrate and partner with HR colleagues in the HR Business Partner, Legal, Audit, Learning & Development, and HR Programs teams to implement solutions and help achieve business results.
- Give guidance, coaching and consultation to leaders on day to day people management matters, workplace disputes and identify solutions to ensure risk mitigation, and consistent application of policies and practices.
- Conduct complex investigations and provide timely, objective recommendations and mediate solutions.
- Provide advice on interpreting HR policies and procedures aligned with business and human capitol strategy and employee experience and culture goals and standards.
- Lead the modification and creation of policies aligned to competitive best practices to achieve desired behaviors and business goals.
- Oversee, manage, and implement separation process including notification, outplacement, and off-boarding through resolution.
- Utilize reports and dashboards and employee relations experiences to inform business leaders on trends and workforce insights on talent retention and employee engagement.
- Provide rigorous data analysis and reporting solutions based on business needs, highlighting key trends in employee relations to actively drive proactive solutions to minimize reactive work.
- Play a lead role in change management activities associated with organizational/directional changes by developing and implementing change management strategies.
- Use knowledge of internal networks to ensure changes are adopted and integrated.
- 15 years or more of employee relations experience.
- Advance degree in related field preferred.
- Experience in leading and the implementation of enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills negotiation, and interpersonal skills required.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated evidence of success in managing professional level staff in employee relations, investigation management, compliance and conflict resolution.
- Experience working in a matrixed organization, with demonstrated success collaborating across departments, lines of business and geographies.
- Experience with process improvement methodologies preferred.
- Demonstrated sound research and writing skills.
- Proficiency in applicable PC hardware and software.
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.
- Job Function Human Resources
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 30
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Howell, MI, USA
- Itasca, IL, USA
- Windsor, CT, USA
- Worcester, MA, USA