Varel Oil & Gas Drill Bits manufactures and services application specific roller cone and fixed cutter drill bits. Our proprietary design capabilities, efficient manufacturing, and global sales force uniquely position us to provide reliable drilling and completion solutions faster than anyone else. We are a customer focused company with an innovative team conducting business in a responsible manner with a passion to win.
Summary: Be the subject matter expert in classifying, selecting, and improving materials used in drill bits (PDC/Roller cone). These materials include alloy steels, cemented carbides, and weld/braze materials. Also, must conduct failure, fatigue, root cause analysis by sample preparations and
metallography/microstructures analysis of cemented carbides, PCD, alloy steels, and welded hard facings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Perform analysis of materials mentioned above for failure analysis, root cause analysis and material qualification by preparing samples and conducting metallography/microstructure evaluations.
- Proactively determining, finding, and qualifying new material for product improvements while working with Engineering, Manufacturing/rebuild, and Field Engineering.
- Be the subject matter expert and authority on all material selections for PDC and Roller Cone products. Write and maintain material specifications for alloy steels, cemented carbide, hard facings typical of roller cone and PDC bits.
- Work with Reliability Engineering Manufacturing/Rebuild and Field Engineering to identify and solve material and material processing related problems (i.e. matrix infiltration, welding, hard facing and heat treatment).
- Compile results from analysis/investigation into a report that is relevant to the improvement of the product and/or business case.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Metallurgy with 5 years’ experience or Master’s Degree in Metallurgy with three years’ experience.
- Basic understanding of design tools specifically regarding welding, brazing, hard facing, threaded connections, seals, surface finishing, heat treating, matrix infiltration.
- Basic understanding of manufacturing methods.
- Basic knowledge of drilling and drilling applications.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem solving, and communication skills.
- Ability to focus in a manufacturing and laboratory environment.
- Ability to conduct statistical analysis.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to draw conclusions with problems involving abstract concepts and limited data.
Thank you for your interest in a career with Varel International Energy Services.
International Energy Services participates in the E-Verify program. All
positions are subject to a criminal background check. |
- 4140 World Houston Pkwy, Houston, TX 77032, USA