Retail Licensed Optician
Licensed Optician 2020
Field Revision Date
03/2020 FLSA Status:
Non-Exempt Business Unit:
Retail Job Code:
Current Job Revisions
Assists customers with frame selection, fits and dispenses frames. Utilizing technical information to interpret prescription to assist customer with selection of optical products and services. Essential Responsibilities:
1. Assist each customer in frame and lens selection meeting social distance requirements
2. Ensure compliance with social distancing, cleaning protocols and cleaning hygiene practices: frequent handwashing, not shaking hands, cover nose and mouth while coughing or sneezing, avoid touching eyes / nose / mouth with unwashed hands
3. Provide customers with accurate product information regarding frames, lens selections and other services.
4. Provide customers covered by Third Party insurance with accurate information regarding benefits to ensure proper selection of frames and lenses. Inform the customer of any additional charges not covered by their Third Party insurance coverage.
5. Utilize the SERVE sales process to identify customer needs and establish proper lens recommendations based on patient needs. Associate must utilize all available demonstration tools (See SERVE brochire for specifics).
6. Analyze and interpret patients’ prescriptions. Communicate as necessary with the Lab and Optometrist to ensure accuracy of prescription.
7. Sell, fit and dispense frames and other accessories through the use of accurate measurements, verification of ordered products and adjustments of various optical products, in accordance with the Eyewear Presentation.
8. Maintain a clean and orderly dispensing area.
9. Responsible for the accuracy of customer pricing for the retail customer.
10. Maintain license requirements per State Guidelines
11. Where applicable, provide feedback and guidance to Apprentice Opticians
12. Adhere to privacy and confidential and proprietary company policies and procedures (i.e. HIPAA).
13. Participate in any/all training and educational activities necessary to fulfill at least the minimum requirements as specified within your departmental goals. This is in addition to, the completion of any activities necessary for the maintenance of professional affiliations or organizational requirements.
14. Diligently maintain the cleanliness of all equipment, workstations and the overall facility on a daily basis.
15. As required by changing business needs, complete additional responsibilities as assigned. Education:
High School Diploma or Equivalent Experience & Background:
Current New York State, Massachusetts or Rhode Island Ophthalmic dispensing license
Knowledge and demonstrated abilities in explaining optical products, services, the analysis and interpretation of optical prescriptions, fitting and dispensing. Language Skills:
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
Ability to write simple correspondence
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the organization Mathematical Skills:
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest and percentages
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry Reasoning Ability
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations Essential Responsibilities related to Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to stand, use hands and fingers to handle, feel, pick or pinch, and talk or hear most of the time. The associate is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The
Store/Dept: Associate ID #:
Licensed Optician 2020
associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. The noise level in this location is moderate (use of computers, printers and machines).
Activity Amount of Time None Under 1/3 1/3 to 2/3 Over 2/3 Stand X Walk X Sit X Use hands to finger, handle, or feel X Reach with Hands and Arms X Climb or balance X Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl X Talk or hear X
Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors)
Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point)
Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) Essential Cleaning Behaviors: Frequent Handwashing Not shaking hands Cover nose and mouth if coughing or sneezing Avoid touching eyes/nose/mouth Maintain social distance protocols with other associates and patients Ensure chairs in waiting area are six (6) feet apart, to ensure recommended separation, where possible Ensure patient places all selected/tried-on frames into frame trays, do not allow customers to try on frame and place back on board before cleaning both frames and trays. Wipe down all tools and equipment in front of patient.
Visionworks is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, ethnicity, disability or veteran status, or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria considered necessary to perform the job successfully. As required by changing business needs, complete additional essential responsibilities as identified and assigned.
Visionworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. With regard to all employment practices, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or current military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state and local law. We strive to employ and promote only those applicants and employees who are best suited for open positions and who possess the necessary skills, education and qualifications for the job.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
- Job Family Contributor
- Job Function Retail Incentive Plan
- Pay Type Hourly
- Store 1254, Middlesex Marketplace, Burlington, Massachusetts, United States of America