Administrative Assistant I / HR Assistant - Part Time (NJA302)
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is the local affiliate of the national organization, Volunteers of America, Inc. and is one of the largest providers of human services in the metropolitan New York area. Founded in New York City in 1896 as a charity staffed by volunteers tending to the city’s poor, today VOA-Greater New York has 1,300 paid staff that provide life-changing, often life-saving services through 80 programs in New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-Greater New York services extend to survivors of domestic violence; individuals and families — including veterans — experiencing, or at risk of homelessness; people living with HIV/ AIDS, behavioral health, and substance use issues; adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities; preschoolers with developmental delays; older adults on limited incomes, many with a history of homelessness; and at-risk youth.
VOA-Greater New York expands, and introduces new services in response to community needs. As such, it is at the forefront of building affordable, supportive housing for seniors; providing a service-rich continuum of care for formerly homeless veterans; and expanding its services for those recovering from domestic violence. Battle Buddy Bridge®, a peer counseling program for veterans, and the work VOA-Greater New York is doing to raise awareness of the impact of Moral Injury, are examples of the organization’s responsiveness, creativity and life-altering work.
Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC. Operation Backpack® is the organization’s signature community service campaign that ensures every student who calls a NYC shelter “home” has a new backpack full of supplies in time for the first day of school.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled
The Human Resources Assistant (PT) is responsible for human resources activities related to improving workforce productivity, quality and enhancing overall organizational effectiveness. The Human Resource Assistant (PT) is also responsible for the completion of assigned administrative and Human Resource related tasks, which may include any of the following functioning areas; employee relations, recruitment, benefits, training and HRIS.
Bachelor’s degree plus two years relevant HR experience, or an associate’s degree and three years relevant HR experience or satisfactory combination of education and experience. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, possess strong attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and adhere to deadlines. The ability to maintain confidentiality is essential. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Assists in monitoring the performance appraisal process and organizational training and development efforts.
2. Participates in recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt personnel (excluding managerial levels and above); helps by coordinating job postings on the website, collecting resumes, and performing reference checks.
3. Maintain and review the sector’s time and attendance system and coordinate with the payroll department to ensure accurate and timely payroll.
4. Establish personnel files and keeps employee records up-to-date by processing employee status changes in timely fashion. Maintains personnel files in compliance with applicable legal requirements.
5. Prepares paperwork required to place employees on payroll; and for separated employees.
6. Administer FMLA Request and Workers Comp Claims including recordkeeping.
7. Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database as needed.
8. Perform other related duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in an office environment performing administrative work.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers and/or vendors. This position is sedentary and requires sitting for long period of times. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a part-time position.
Volunteers of America offers a comprehensive benefits package to help protect you and your family, top-notch training opportunities, and an energetic and professional work environment.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Wednesday, April 15, 2020
- Rahway, NJ 07065, USA