Administrative Assistant I (NWD1-301)
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is the local affiliate of the national organization, Volunteers of America, Inc. and is one of the largest providers of human services in the metropolitan New York area. Founded in New York City in 1896 as a charity staffed by volunteers tending to the city’s poor, today VOA-Greater New York has 1,300 paid staff that provide life-changing, often life-saving services through 80 programs in New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-Greater New York services extend to survivors of domestic violence; individuals and families — including veterans — experiencing, or at risk of homelessness; people living with HIV/ AIDS, behavioral health, and substance use issues; adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities; preschoolers with developmental delays; older adults on limited incomes, many with a history of homelessness; and at-risk youth.
VOA-Greater New York expands, and introduces new services in response to community needs. As such, it is at the forefront of building affordable, supportive housing for seniors; providing a service-rich continuum of care for formerly homeless veterans; and expanding its services for those recovering from domestic violence. Battle Buddy Bridge®, a peer counseling program for veterans, and the work VOA-Greater New York is doing to raise awareness of the impact of Moral Injury, are examples of the organization’s responsiveness, creativity and life-altering work.
Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC. Operation Backpack® is the organization’s signature community service campaign that ensures every student who calls a NYC shelter “home” has a new backpack full of supplies in time for the first day of school.
The Administrative Assistant I is responsible for the completion of assigned office and administrative tasks. Maintains confidentiality of client, employee and financial information.
60 college credits plus two years experience in a related field or a satisfactory combination of education and experience. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, business writing skills, the ability to work well with others, and prioritize and take initiative. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Manage the management of day to day office functions, equipment maintenance, and janitorial activities.
2. Coordinate paper and electronic documentation, including receiving, routing and filing of invoices, reports, correspondences, contracts and forms.
3. Prepare reports, correspondences, purchase orders and forms and ensure timely and accurate reporting within the program and to outside entities.
4. Assist Program Director with daily tasks.
5. Act as a liaison between program and IT department.
6. Perform other related duties as requested.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
1. Office functions are efficient and operate smoothly.
2. Correspondence is handled correctly, efficiently, and is routed to the appropriate person in a timely manner.
3. Reports, correspondence and forms are completed accurately and sent to the appropriate internal or external entities in a timely manner.
4. Tasks, including emergency situations are handled safely, promptly and professionally.
5. Ensure accurate record keeping for the program an systems issues are reported promptly to IT department.
6. All other related tasks are completed on time and accurately.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in an office and residential shelter environment performing administrative work.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to have visual acuity, talk and hear while communicating with peers and/or vendors. This position is sedentary and requires sitting for long period of times. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items up to 20 pounds.
This is a full-time position.
- Job Family Administrative Assistant
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Friday, May 22, 2020
- The Bronx, NY, USA