Senior Maintenance Technician (NWD1-850)
Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-Greater New York) is the local affiliate of the national organization, Volunteers of America, Inc. and is one of the largest providers of human services in the metropolitan New York area. Founded in New York City in 1896 as a charity staffed by volunteers tending to the city’s poor, today VOA-Greater New York has 1,300 paid staff that provide life-changing, often life-saving services through 80 programs in New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-Greater New York services extend to survivors of domestic violence; individuals and families — including veterans — experiencing, or at risk of homelessness; people living with HIV/ AIDS, behavioral health, and substance use issues; adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities; preschoolers with developmental delays; older adults on limited incomes, many with a history of homelessness; and at-risk youth.
VOA-Greater New York expands, and introduces new services in response to community needs. As such, it is at the forefront of building affordable, supportive housing for seniors; providing a service-rich continuum of care for formerly homeless veterans; and expanding its services for those recovering from domestic violence. Battle Buddy Bridge®, a peer counseling program for veterans, and the work VOA-Greater New York is doing to raise awareness of the impact of Moral Injury, are examples of the organization’s responsiveness, creativity and life-altering work.
Many of VOA-Greater New York’s programs are nationally recognized and meet the rigorous standards of accrediting bodies CARF, COA and the NAEYC. Operation Backpack® is the organization’s signature community service campaign that ensures every student who calls a NYC shelter “home” has a new backpack full of supplies in time for the first day of school.
The Senior Maintenance Technician oversees the physical building operations on a day-to-day basis and is responsible for the overall cleanliness and maintenance of the facility, including supervision of Maintenance Technicians.
High School diploma, GED with 3 years related experience in building maintenance with one year of supervisory experience; or satisfactory combination of related experience and specialized education or training. Good communication skills. Basic computer and technology skills.
S-12: Citywide sprinkler systems / S-11 Residential sprinkler system
S-13: Citywide standpipe systems
S-95: Supervision of fire alarm systems and other related systems
P-98: Fuel-oil piping and storage systems
F-80: Co-coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems in Homeless Shelters
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
The below enumerated principal responsibilities are inclusive of both program specific and firm-wide related administration, as applicable.
1. Prepare and carry out a preventative maintenance plan including fire safety, OSHA and other systems requirements.
2. Handle selected repairs in the building including but not limited to HVAC, painting, MEP, etc.
3. Ensure that the highest standards of cleanliness and safety are maintained in all areas of facility and its general operation of all mechanical equipment including boilers, HVAC, etc. with particular attention to areas subject to various inspections.
4. Ensure that the building is in compliance with all regulatory agency requirements and inspections (DOB, FDNY, HPD, DHS, OMH, etc.)
5. Assist in curing violations including repairs, necessary paperwork and court appearances.
6. Log and track property maintenance, work orders, inventory, and purchases in computerized maintenance system.
7. Ensure that equipment is in good working order and stored in safe and secure environment when not in use.
8. Reliable and competent backup for Maintenance Technician. Be available to respond to emergency call outside of regular work hours.
9. Perform other duties as required.
Expected Results of Principal Responsibilities:
1. Building is maintained in safe and efficient manner. A clean, safe environment is maintained.
2. Assigned repairs are completed following all building codes and industry best practices.
3. All regulatory requirements are met and maintained.
4. Inspections are performed timely and accurately.
5. Violations and repairs are cured quickly, and the agency is represented professionally in a court appearances.
6. Computerized tracking of property maintenance, work orders, inventory, and purchasing is accurate and current. Work orders receive prompt attention and are completed in a timely manner.
7. Inventory is properly monitored and stored.
8. Calls are responded to promptly. Emergency situations are handled safely and professionally.
9. Related duties are performed completely, accurately and on time.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be in a residential shelter environment. Activities occur inside and outside.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, and crouching. May require lifting, pushing, or pulling up to 50 pounds without assistance. Must be able to climb and work from a ladder.
This is a full-time position.
- Job Family Maintenance Technician
- Pay Type Hourly
- Job Start Date Friday, May 22, 2020
- The Bronx, NY, USA