Responsible for providing accurate, timely and cost-effective engineering solutions that work well within the limits of our manufacturing equipment and assembly capabilities. Additionally, these solutions must meet customer expectations, perform for the desired warranty period and comply with all applicable regulatory requirements. Engineering solution shall also encompass commonization and simplification using Lean / Sigma techniques.
- Embrace and support Utilimaster Corporate policies and procedures
- Be able to solve manufacturing and assembly problems utilizing problem solving techniques and methodologies.
- Create Engineering tree (task list) to comply with Customer / vehicle specifications
- Create solids model to correspond with engineering tree
- Pull ECN numbers and start the ECN process, corresponding with Engineering tree.
- Determine effectiveness of the engineering solutions, understanding un-intended consequences to manufacturing processes, tooling and option capability.
- Coordinate effective date of engineering solution
- Initiate changes to drawings, solids models and bills of material
- Effectively utilize Aurora to research product/spec history and structure, where used on component parts, and product compatibility.
- Understand the metal fabrication, forming, tolerances and capabilities within our facilities and within our industry.
- Understand extrusion process
- Understand vehicle design, testing and certification process
- Understand 12-volt electrical systems for automotive applications
- Understand design and fabrication techniques common in the electrical appliance and harness fabrication business for our industry
- Understand the electrical codes and standards for wiring and circuit design
- Understand vehicle design, testing and certification as it pertains electrical and HVAC systems
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
This position requires a bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline from an accredited college. Additional requirements include, 1 to 3 years of relevant experience and demonstration of knowledge in CAD systems such as Solid works, Cadra, AutoCAD or Unigraphics. Additional skills in FMEA, FEA, CFD, Lean/Sigma, DFSS would be a plus. This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, along with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and other database management tools.
- Interaction with Others
- Other Departments
KIND OF PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Operate small equipment
- Handle power hand tools
- Operate production machinery
- Operate office equipment
- Eye/hand coordination
- Work alone
- Work as a team
- Isolated with minimal support
- Frequent change in work schedule
- Outside and inside work areas